(GFWC Match 26) Cyprus Hold on Against North Korea For Much Needed Win

(GFWC Match 26) Cyprus Hold on Against North Korea For Much Needed Win

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 22nd, 2018 (GFWC Match 26)

Cyprus Hold on Against North Korea For Much Needed Win

North Korea 0-1 Cyprus

 

Cyprus has held on and gained their first World Cup win against North Korea despite an early injury to defender Antoniades.

 

The injury came in the first 25 minutes when Antoniades won a challenge in Cyprus’ own box. Merkis took his place and steadied the Cyprus back four, ensuring that the North Koreans could not penetrate.

 

In fact, it was Cyprus who scored on the half hour, starting with Dossa Júnior crossing the ball into the box from the right wing. Charalambidis won a 50-50 ball against defender Kuk-Chol Jang. The Cypriot dribbled the ball and gained complete control. As Myong-Guk Ri tried to dive on the ball, Charalambidis snuck it under his arm and into the goal.

 

Ten minutes after, North Korea had two chances to equalise. First, a Myong-Song Pak header from a corner flew over the bar. Then Song-Chol Pak’s long-range shot ended in the crowd. Cyprus, rather, was intent on increasing that lead.

 

After fifteen solid attacking minutes, up rose Demetriou on the half hour. Unfortunately, his shot was with his left foot, and it rose and rose, never nearing the goal.

 

Two minutes later, Charalambidis fired a decent shot on target, only for a diving Myong-Guk Ri to nudge the ball out for a corner. Again, Demetriou shot and missed.

 

North Korea’s best chance to level came from substitute Myong Cha-Hyon, who bypassed two Cypriot defenders before Georgallides came out and saved the ball, and Sielis had time to clear.

 

Man of the Match Charalambidis had yet another chance to collect his second goal as he strode away from Chol-Bom Kim, only for the left-footer to miss the post by inches. Again, Charalambidis tried, this time from left wing, but it was easy enough for the North Korean goalkeeper to parry away. 

 

Finally, North Korea had one last chance to come away with a point by Kuk-Bom Kim, but defender Merkis and his colleagues ensured the last shot of the game did not travel near the goal. Cyprus held on to a solid win, and can take some confidence into their do-or-die game against Poland on Wednesday. North Korea, on the other hand, cannot mathematically make the Round of 16, so they will give their all against Brazil in the hope of scoring their first World Cup goal.

 

 

 

 

North Korea

0-1

Cyprus

7

2

49

15

2

1

28

72

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

8

3

51

15

2

2

37

81

 

 

 45’ #6 Kuk-Chol Kang I off, #12 Kyong-Jin So on

 60’ #11 Il-Gwan Jong off, #20 Kum-Il Song on

 60’ #9 Song-Chol Pak off, #17 Myong Cha-Hyon

 24’ #15 Antoniades off, #16 Merkis on

 30’ #7 Charalambidis (#2 Dossa Júnior assist)

 

 

 

 

 68’ #20 Kastanos off, #9 Christofi on

 68’ #17 Efrem off, #14 Soteriou on

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

53 Views
Added on July 1, 2018
Last Updated on July 1, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing