(GFWC Match 23) German Onslaught Defeat Slow Belgians

(GFWC Match 23) German Onslaught Defeat Slow Belgians

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 21st, 2018 (GFWC Match 23)

German Onslaught Defeat Slow Belgians

Germany 4-0 Belgium

 

Germany has taken top place in Group D after a comprehensive four-goal win over Belgium, with four different players netting goals.  

 

Germany brought Gomez into their starting eleven in place of Müller after a mild performance by the German veteran. Draxler also took the field instead of Goretska. Belgian coach Roberto Martínez swapped Mertens in his first game for Carrasco, despite the latter scoring a goal against St Vincent and the Grenadines.

 

The game started with both teams having solid chances to open their scoring. Draxler’s pass to Özil found him against Courtois, only for the Belgian goalkeeper to cover the ball.

 

At the quarter hour, Hazard won a challenge against Hummels. The ball fell to Mertens, who shot wide. Germany then hit the post with a solid opportunity, followed by a near miss by Fellaini.

 

On 27 minutes, Kroos received the ball from Werner. He shot on the second touch, hitting the bottom of the left upright, then the ball bounced against the opposite side netting. 

 

Germany gained the upper hand with this first goal. The second-ranked nation won a corner after Özil penetrated the Belgian defence and tried to sneak in the tiniest of gaps between the post and Courtois. Courtois ensured the ball went out for a corner. Werner won the header from the corner, with the ball floating parallel to the goal. Draxler found it with his head in front of Lukaku, only for Courtois to parry and another corner given to Germany.

 

Lukaku had Belgium’s best chance in the first half as he approached ter Stegen one-on-one after Fellaini had won a challenge in the middle and passed it to Hazard. Ter Stegen did enough to stop the goal and Hummels cleared the ball.

 

On the stroke of halftime, Belgium needed Courtois again as Reus attacked from left wing. The Belgian goalkeeper dived on the ball and ensured Belgium went to the break only one goal down.

 

Any chance of a Belgian comeback was halted, starting with a yellow card to Hazard. Two minutes later, Werner gained possession of the ball near the 18-yard box. He outturned Kompany, and fired on goal with his left. Courtois’ dive was not enough and the Germans increased their lead.

 

A blink and suddenly Germany had scored a third. Reus drove down the left towards goal. He smacked the ball with his left, across goal. Courtois was slightly out of place and missed the ball as it sailed past and into the net.

 

Germany maintained the attacking pressure. First, a desperate Belgian defence blocked Gomez’s shot. Then, Özil shot over the bar. 

 

On the counterattack, Fellaini fired with true power, only to be denied by the bar. Straight after, Werner had a chance for a second but did not defeat Courtois in battle.

 

A German fourth goal finally came with Özil’s goal and eight minutes remaining. Man of the Match Kroos played through a long ball to the German talisman, who scored a gem of a goal with his left.

 

Germany now can sew up top spot with a win against St Vincent and the Grenadines on Tuesday, while Belgium awaits the result tomorrow between the aforementioned CONCACAF side and Uzbekistan, before taking on the Asian team in a match that is sure to determine who joins Germany in the Round of 16.

 

 

 

 

 

Germany

4-0

Belgium

13

9

51

23

0

4

69

83

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

5

2

49

22

1

0

40

76

 27’ #18 Kroos (#10 Werner assist)

 

 

 51’ #10 Werner (#14 Draxler assist)

 53’ #9 Reus (#18 Kroos assist)

 

 

 63’ #20 Hector off, #4 Rüdiger on

 82’ #8 Özil (#18 Kroos assist)

 84’ #23 Gomez off, #13 Müller on

 84’ #14 Draxler off, #6 Khedira on

 

 45’ #7 De Bruyne off, #20 Boyata on

49’ #10 Hazard

 

 

 59’ #10 Hazard off, #21 Batshuayi on

 63’ #6 Witsel off, #19 Dembélé on

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on June 23, 2018
Last Updated on June 23, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing