Ecuador Lose to Macedonia on Penalties (GFWC Round of 16 Match 56)

Ecuador Lose to Macedonia on Penalties (GFWC Round of 16 Match 56)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

July 3rd, 2018 (GFWC Round of 16 Match 56)

Ecuador Lose to Macedonia on Penalties

Ecuador 2-3 (pen) Macedonia

 

Ecuador has squandered a great chance to progress to the Quarter Finals as they lose to Macedonia on penalties.

 

Macedonia made one change to their regular lineup, with Spirovski’s broken toe needing Trajchevski to enter the starting eleven. Ecuador kept their best eleven, in the hopes of ensuring a quick series of goals to cater for the European side.

 

With a high number of tackles, this game became a back-and-forth style as both teams fought for control of the midfield. Ecuador started the stronger of the two, with two shots early going wide. The latter started with a Man of the Match Paredes pass as the right back made many runs at the Macedonian defence.

 

Macedonia had the next two shots, but both missed. For the rest of the half, the two teams traded the ball as they were unable to bypass the strong defence both had set up.

 

Against the run of play, Erazo gave away a penalty late in the first half. Captain Pandev made sure the penalty was a success, and the underdogs had the lead going into the half.

 

That lead was short-lived two minutes after the return, because Larrea went on a brilliant run and slotted the ball home.

 

From that moment, Macedonia played more defensively, throwing a fifth player back into their structure, while working on catching the South Americans on the counterattack. Pandev was the key figure in these counterattacks, with two shots needing Dominguez’s deft saves. In the latter, Erazo then cleared the ball out of Pandev’s dangerous attempt at headering into an open goal. Ecuador also had a chance to score, only for the shot to be blocked. 

 

The two teams played out the last few minutes for extra time, during which both teams attacked earnestly, only for the defence to hold. Noboa’s shot in the first extra-time half was blocked, whilst Jahović produced an easy save for Dominguez. Macedonia, with their extra possession, ensured the game would be decided by penalties.

 

With the advantage of going first, Noboa stepped up for Ecuador and slotted the penalty kick home. Meanwhile, Pandev could not replicate his earlier penalty: the shot went almost straight to Dominguez, who saved it easily.

 

Macedonia levelled the scores after Martinez missed and Hasani scored. Then, the tide turned again when Enner Valencia scored his penalty and Jahović’s attempt was saved.

 

The rollercoaster of scoring continued when Bogatinoc saved Arroyo’s shot, and then Petrovikj scored his, bringing the scores level once more.

 

Needing to finish the goal, Antonio Valencia stepped up. His shot hit halfway up the post and bounced out. Groans started around the stadium as Ecuador realised they could be eliminated. Ristovski then came forth in a surprise decision by the Macedonian coaches and fired to his left, leaving a deflated Dominguez to watch the ball sail past him and Macedonia to progress to the Quarter Finals.

 

 

Ecuador

1-1 (2-3 penalties)

Macedonia

5

3

56

30

1

0

60

86

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

6

5

44

31

2

0

83

79

 

 47’ #15 Larrea (#22 Caicedo assist)

 66’ #22 Caicedo off, #13 E. Valencia on

 

 

 83’ #10 W. Ayovi off, #8 Gaibor on

 90’ #15 Larrea off, ##11 Arroyo on

 

 

 

 

 

 45 + 2’#10 Pandev (pen) 

 

 

 66’ #7 Trajchevski off, #8 Petrovikj on

 83’ #19 Ibraimi off, #15 Jahović on

 

 

 90’ #17 Stjepanovikj off, #2 Musliu on

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on July 4, 2018
Last Updated on July 4, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing