(GFWC Matches 39/40) Goals Aplenty See Germany and Belgium Progress

(GFWC Matches 39/40) Goals Aplenty See Germany and Belgium Progress

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 26th, 2018 (GFWC Matches 39/40)

Goals Aplenty See Germany and Belgium Progress

St Vincent and the Grenadines 2-3 Germany

Uzbekistan 2-5 Belgium

 

Germany and Belgium have progressed to the Round of 16 after high scoring wins over St Vincent and the Grenadines and Uzbekistan respectively. 

 

Germany ensured top spot with their win, defeating a plucky St Vincent and the Grenadines.

 

The signs looked bleak early when Kroos gave away a cheap penalty on Gordon. James ensured he slotted the goal and the CONCACAF side led by one goal. Ter Stegen was needed moments later after a cross close to the back post had Germany scrambling in defence.

 

Making sure this was a mere anomaly, Germany scored soon after. Gomez cut in from right wing. The St Vincent defenders watched him as he strode towards goal. His shot stayed along the ground, and although it was not powerful, its placement found the gap between Christopher’s glove and the post.

 

Kroos had a chance to score Germany’s second, but his shot flung overhead. It was no matter, for Werner came to the fray moments later. Reus had cut inboard, wrong-footing Francis. He placed the ball in front of the leading Werner, who took it out on his right and half-cut the ball back across goal.

 

Germany had their third goal one minute later. Werner won the ball and played in Draxler, who was running from left defensive midfield. He ran all the way and scored, dashing the hopes of a St Vincent upset in their slim chances of qualifying for the Round of 16.

 

Germany continued attacking, but could not find a fourth. Reus’ shot was blocked, and then a Gomez header missed the mark from the resulting corner. The St Vincent defence stopped another Draxler run, learning from their earlier mistake. Just before halftime, Reus had a great shot thud against the bar, much to the groans of the crowd. 

 

Germany felt safe with this lead at the break and slowed the pace of the game. Meanwhile, St Vincent worked their way back into the game. Reus had his final attack on goal, only for Christopher’s dive to deny his second goal for the tournament.

 

St Vincent won a free kick deep into the second half, and Gordon stepped up, hitting the bar. Francis also had a chance to score, but fired over. Then ter Steger saved Samuel’s attempt, and Lowman’s low header was close, but not close enough.

 

Meanwhile, Muller had an opportunity to grab a goal. Goretzka swept in a low ball from the baseline to Muller. He tapped it, only for Christopher to save the ball and the defender Ross to clear.

 

When the result seemed certain, St Vincent gained a consolation goal. James received the ball from Lowman and decided to penetrate the gaps in Germany’s defence. He strode forward, slotting for his second and a possible chance at drawing the game. However, time ran out and Germany came away winners and first place of Group D.

 

The battle for second place began at the same time between Uzbekistan and Belgium.

 

Lukaku was the first to shoot on goal after a pass from Fellaini, only to miss a good chance wide. But it was Uzbekistan who went up a goal after a brilliant driving run by Akhmedov, curling it around Courtois. 

 

Rashidov then sent a shot over the top of the bar. Finally, Belgium managed to gain the ascendancy in the middle and attack from there. Carrasco had a chance stopped by the goalkeeper, and Fellaini then missed the resulting corner’s cross. 

 

Lukaku opened Belgium’s scoring, with the ball starting with Carrasco. He passed to Hazard, who turned it to Lukaku. The striker slid-shot the ball into the far side of the goal, starting a flurry of three goals in fourteen minutes.

 

In between these, Haydarov had an opportunity, but Courtois saved his shot. 

 

Belgium then broke down the left wing, where Man of the Match Hazard sent a cross over to Fellaini, who easily outclassed Krimets in the jump and headed home his first goal for the tournament. Then, from the restart, Witsel passed to a leading Hazard heading straight for goal. His toe poke found the inside of the left post, and Belgium could breathe a sigh, knowing they were likely to win and progress to the knockout stages.

 

Sergeev had injured his quadriceps and was quickly replaced in between Belgium’s second and third goals. The substitute Nasimov decided to take the game on himself. This proved fruitful on two accounts. Buoyed by Nasimov’s eagerness, Haydarov placed a through ball perfectly for Geynrich. His first touch led him into the box, where he shot sweetly, but straight at Courtois. Somehow, Nasimov reached the ball just as Vertonghen went to clear. He tapped it forward with his thigh before slotting the goal.

 

As the half was ending, Nasimov streaked down the right wing, looking to cross, but received a free kick instead. Though nothing came of the free kick, it was clear to see that Uzbekistan would not give anything to Belgium.

 

Both teams fought for momentum in the second half, before Belgium worked Uzbekistan out of the game, though unable to penetrate close enough for a shot. Finally, when Lukaku won the ball in midfield, he quickly tapped it inboard to De Bruyne. Free of any marker, De Bruyne fired from the semi circle, scoring his first goal for the World Cup. The game seemed all but certain to be over as Belgium peppered the defence and made them turn towards their goal.

 

This pressure led to Belgium’s fifth goal, this time with Fellaini scoring a brace. Tielemans originally had shot, only for Lobanov to save the goal. The ball popped to Krimets, who cleared before Hazard could impact. The ball fell to Fellaini, who fired a volley. Lobanov managed to get his right arm to it, but the sheer force made the ball tuck underneath him and hit the net.

 

Uzbekistan tried for a third in injury time to possibly scrape into third place, but to no avail. The Belgians ran out 5-2 winners, and now join Germany in the Round of 16. They have the scoring momentum to defeat Italy, while Germany play against Denmark in a battle of the European strongholds. Both games are bound to be high scoring games.

 

 

St Vincent/Gre.

2-3

Germany

6

5

50

14

2

2

83

74

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

15

9

50

24

2

2

60

74

  5’ #13 G. James

 

 

 

 


 

 74’ #5 Benjamin off, #2 Lowman on

 74’ #10 Anderson off, #9 M. Samuel on

 

 82’ #14 Francis off, #14 Ross on

 89’ #13 G. James (#2 Lowman assist)

 

 

 

 14’ #23 Gomez

 26’ #10 Werner (#9 Reus assist)

 27’ #14 Draxler (#10 Werner assist)

 45’ #18 Kroos off, #7 Goretzka on

 74’ #10 Werner off, #13 Muller on

 

 

 82’ #14 Draxler off, #3 Ginter on

 

Uzbekistan

2-5

Belgium

8

6

48

17

1

1

75

83

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

10

7

52

21

2

2

70

81

 12’ #9 Akhmedov (#15 Geynrich assist)

 

 

 38’ #11 Sergeevoff, #6 Nasimov on

 

 41’ #6 Nasimov

 


 54’ #7 Haydarov, #22 Sayfiyev on

 59’ #4 Rashidov off, #18 Musayev on

 

 

 

 

 25’ #9 Lukaku (#10 Hazard assist)

 38’ #8 Fellaini (#10 Hazard assist)

 

 39’ #10 Hazard (#6 Witsel assist)

 

45’ #5 Vertonghen

 

 

 59’ #5 Vertonghen off, #3 Vermaelen on

 67’ #7 De Bruyne (#9 Lukaku assist)

 67’ #7 De Bruyne off, #14 Mertens on

 67’ #9 Lukaku off, #18 Tielemans on

 90’ #8 Fellaini



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on July 1, 2018
Last Updated on July 1, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing