(GFWC Match 11) Cyprus Score Late As Brazil Win Opening World Cup Game

(GFWC Match 11) Cyprus Score Late As Brazil Win Opening World Cup Game

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 17th, 2018 (GFWC Match 11)

Cyprus Score Late As Brazil Win Opening World Cup Game

Brazil 2-1 Cyprus

 

Two early goals from Brazilian forwards Jesus and Willian help Brazil edge out a defiant Cyprus in their opening World Cup game.

 

Brazil set the tone with two goals within eighteen minutes. The first, from Jesus, showed true Brazilian flair. Willian received the ball at the edge of the box. He switched the ball to the mirrored side, where Neymar checked his run and took the ball. With Antoniades covering him, Neymar passed it to Jesus, whose left power strike shaved the inside of the right hand goalpost and into the net.

 

Nine minutes later, Paulinho gained possession deep in attack. His through ball around Artymatas met Willian. With his second touch, Willian fired at goal. Goalkeeper Georgallides managed to save the shot with his left hand, only for the ball to bobble directly back to Willian. Willian’s second shot ensured the ball reached the open goal.

 

Brazil took their foot off the accelerator as the game progressed. Cyprus’s left midfielder, Efrem, had an opportunity down the wing. His crossing ball found a decent Kastanos header in front of Marcelo, only for Ederson to tap it over the bar.

 

From that moment on, the game steadied for the last 20 minutes of the half. Sielis worked hardest from left back, gelling with Efrem. Efrem’s 29-minute effort, however, missed the goal by a great deal. Brazil’s defence held firm as they held off the Cypriot’s few advances.

 

Brazil played fancifully in the second, attacking often, but were unable to penetrate past Georgallides. Neymar had an opportunity, with a solid save stopping him scoring. Jesus’s back pass after receiving the ball hit a defender, and Cyprus was able to clear. Willian had the best chance in the 71st minute, but he sprayed it to the left of goal.

 

Late in the game, the Cypriots caught the Brazilian defence napping on a fast break. A long ball found Charalambidis free. Ederson took far too long to decide to rush out, giving the Cyprus attacker time to steady and fire into the goal. 

 

Brazil slowed the game and maintained possession until the end, running out winners.

 

Cyprus will be content with taking the Brazilians on for much of the game, and will use the extra confidence in their next game against North Korea. Brazil may adjust their team for their second game against a much better Poland on Friday.

 

 

Brazil

2-1

Cyprus

8

4

51

14

1

0

50

81

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

5

3

49

12

0

1

60

82

 9’ #9 Jesus (#10 Neymar assist)

 18’ #19 Willian (#15 Paulinho assist)

 

 

 74’ #9 Jesus off, #20 Firminoon

 74’ #19 Willian off, #7 Douglas Costa on

 

 

 90’ #15 Paulinho off, #17 Fernandinho on

 

 

 

 

 

 

 45’ #20 Kastanos off, #12 Christofi on

 61’ #17 Efrem off, #21 Laban on

 

 

 79’ #7 Charalambidis (#10 Mytides assist)

 82’ #10 Mytides off, #23 Nikolaou on

 

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on June 15, 2018
Last Updated on June 15, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing