Three First-Half Goals Help Belgium Trounce Italy (GFWC Round of 16 Match 49)

Three First-Half Goals Help Belgium Trounce Italy (GFWC Round of 16 Match 49)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 30th, 2018 (GFWC Round of 16 Match 49)

Three First-Half Goals Help Belgium Trounce Italy

Italy 0-4 Belgium

 

Italy has been dealt a massive blow to their World Cup campaign after three first-half goals from Belgium’s elite secured them a Quarter Final berth over the Azzuri.

 

Belgium hoped to advance one step further than 2014, where they were knocked out by Chile at the Round of 16 stage. Italy, however, had powered through their group with three wins and a goal difference of eight. As for competing against each other, Italy and Belgium had not met recently in Global Futbol Men’s matches, so it was a new battle for both teams. The tactical advantage went to Belgium, for the substitute Dries Mertens plays at Napoli. His knowledge of the Italian game at large might have helped Belgium devise a tactical plan. 

 

Belgium made no change to their core eleven starters. Neither did Italy, deciding to go on the attack early. Both teams were caught offside as they tried through balls.

 

It was Belgium with the best chances first off. Italy needed two Buffon saves by the 17thminute. Soon after, Chiellini made a blunder and shinned the ball straight to Lukaku. He passed to Hazard running into the box, who hit first time into the goal. 

 

Italy went about getting back the goal with two chances by Bonucci and Parolo, but the fact that the Italians started feeling the pressure of going down a goal meant their long range shots were easily picked off by Courtois.

 

Just after the half hour, Belgium had a second goal through Carrasco. Hazard weaved his magic around the defenders, who were unable to get near him. His back to goal, Hazard heeled the ball to Carrasco, who tapped it with his right to the other side of Bonucci. With his left, Carrasco’s low shot was out of Buffon’s reach, and Belgium tightened their grip on a Quarter Final place.

 

Ten minutes later, De Bruyne somehow tucked a ball past a De Sciglio challenge. Witsel ran onto the ball, then dribbled around the other defenders and snuck the ball under a diving Buffon’s armpit.

 

Italy realised their back-three strategy had fallen apart and shifted to a back five to plug the gaps. 

 

After the break, little happened as Belgium maintained the level of a training drill. Five minutes into the half, Carrasco had a chance, but fired from too far out, and the ball skidded wide.

 

Carrasco instead remained out right, where an attacking run saw him in the right wing and crossing the ball. Hazard checked his run and caught the ball just before it bounced on the penalty spot. The ball slid through Chiellini’s legs and into the goal.

 

With the game all sewn up, Fellaini joined in and tried to score from a Witsel cross, only his left-footer flew wide.

 

From this moment, Belgium played for possession. Italy could do little but watch as their tournament chances whittled away.

 

Oddly enough, Witsel received the Man of the Match award, after Hazard went quiet beyond scoring his second goal. Instead, Witsel was the machine behind the frontal advances as a defensive midfielder, gaining 14 dribbling advances and five successful tackles out of five.

 

Italy will now look at their tactics and seek to change things for the inaugural Nations League against Russia and the Netherlands. Italy’s back three was found wanting each time in that first half. Lukaku and Hazard either had space, or helped create space for Carrasco and the likes to penetrate deep into the box. 

 

Also, Italy played too wide, allowing Belgium to cut down the middle of the field, especially when Witsel had the ball. In all honesty, Italy needed the likes of Verratti to wrestle back some control in the midfield.

 

Belgium will now play against the winner of Russia and Guinea. Russia will be their most difficult opponent, whereas the likes of Guinea have some flaws that Belgium can reveal.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Italy

0-4

Belgium

4

3

49

15

0

0

75

87

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

8

6

51

24

0

0

75

82

 

 

 

 45’ #9 Pellè off, #17 Balotelli on 

 

 68’ #21 Bernardeschi off, #14 Jorginho on

 

 74’ #18 Parolo off, #15 Barzagli on

 

 

 

 19’ #10 Hazard (#9 Lukaku assist)

 31’ #11 Carrasco (#10 Hazard assist)

 41’ #6 Witsel

 

 55’ #10 Hazard (#11 Carrasco assist)

 

 68’ #8 Fellaini off, #14 Mertens on

 

 74’ #9 Lukaku off, #17 Tielemans on

 74’ #7 De Bruyne off, #18 Januzaj on

 

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

161 Views
Added on July 4, 2018
Last Updated on July 4, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing