Spain Put Faroe Islands in Place with Solid Win (GFWC Round of 16 Match 51)

Spain Put Faroe Islands in Place with Solid Win (GFWC Round of 16 Match 51)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

July 1st, 2018 (GFWC Round of 16 Match 51)

Spain Put Faroe Islands in Place with Solid Win

Spain 3-0 Faroe Islands

 

Spain has scored three goals past a resilient Nielsen to progress to the Quarter Finals with goals from Iniesta, Isco and Diego Costa.

 

Spain brought Carvajal into their starting eleven, replacing Fernandez. Faroe Islands kept their main structure and players, except for Hansson, who had played the first two games and as a sub for their third game.

 

Though Spain were hot favourites, it was the Faroe Islands who shot first. Gunnar Vatnhamar, now playing regularly up front for Faroe Islands instead of as a defender, needed a classy De Gea save to stop his shot.

 

Spain then went on the offensive and had two missed chances, the first one being the easiest. The second, from David Silva, was harder due to the angle, but missed, like the first shot, to the left of goal.

 

Spain maintained pressure and soon had a goal. Diego Costa guided Iniesta a through ball into the box. Even though Næs slid, Iniesta easily avoided him. As Nielsen advanced, Iniesta steadied and slotted the ball under Nielsen.

 

Nielsen was needed again with a double save. First it was in thwarting David Silva, who desperately wanted a goal after having none so far this tournament. The second was a foot save from Isco’s shot inside the 18-yard box. However, the ball rebounded straight back to Isco and the Spaniard left-footed it into the open goal.

 

After the half, Spain kept up the pressure, wanting to finish any doubt of a Faroe Islands comeback. That came in the form of Diego Costa, who outran his marker and shot on goal before Nielsen had a chance to rush out and close the angle.

 

The Faroe Islands, meanwhile, felt worthy of a consolation goal. However, their opponent’s defence gave little away, and caught the Faroe striker Vatnhamar offside. 

 

Diego Costa kept up more dangerous advances, again running behind the Faroe Islands defenders. On one such oocassion, due to the angle, he cut the ball into the middle of the box towards Iniesta. Nielsen was ready for it and reached the ball first. Koke also had a chance to score, but the shot was straightforward for Nielsen. David Silva’s shot also flew wide after taking it from outside the box.

 

The Faroe Islands’ only other real chances came first from substitute Andreas Olsen who streaked towards goal, only for a perfect tackle from Jordi Alba to stop him, even though De Gea possibly had it covered. The second started with a similar drive from Klæmint Olsen. De Gea saved his cross/shot, but the parry ended up in front of Benjaminsen. It took Sergio Ramos’s block to keep Spain’s clean sheet.

 

Diego Costa had one final chance to add to his goal tally, but again the shot was straightforward for Nielsen, and the referee blew for full time.

 

Though deflated with this loss, the Faroe Islands are to be commended for their performance at the World Cup, particularly with goalkeeper Neilsen. Another seven saves in this match takes his tally to 29 in four matches. Defensive midfielder Benjaminsen was also solid, scoring an average percentage rating of 66. Jógvansson-Hansen scored three goals in the first two games, but went missing for long periods in this match, before being substituted at halftime.

 

Spain now rest and prepare for a Quarter Final showdown from the winner of Germany and Denmark. Whoever it may be, the Spanish coach is aware it will be a tricky match. Spain hope Koke can produce another Man of the Match performance with his one assist and 16 advancing dribbles out of a possible 19 attempts.

 

 

Spain

3-0

Faroe Islands

14

8

46

13

1

0

57

79

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

3

2

54

15

1

0

66

84

 26’ #6 Iniesta (#19 Diego Costa assist)

 43’ #10 Isco (#6 Iniesta assist)

 


 50’ #19 Diego Costa (#8 Koke assist)

 

 60’ #21 David Silva off, #22 Rodrigo on

 60’ #10 Isco off, #7 Asencio on

 84’ #6 Iniesta off, #20 Niguez on

 

 

 

 

 

 45’ #11 Edmundsson off, #20 K. Olsen on

 45’ #22 Jógvansson-Hansen off, #9 A. Olsen on

 

 60’ #17 Færø off, #14 Jakobsen on

 

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
Added on July 4, 2018
Last Updated on July 4, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing