Germany Runaway Winners as Schmeichel Sent Off in Dramatic Fashion (GFWC Round of 16 Match 52)

Germany Runaway Winners as Schmeichel Sent Off in Dramatic Fashion (GFWC Round of 16 Match 52)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

July 1st, 2018 (GFWC Round of 16 Match 52)

Germany Runaway Winners as Schmeichel Sent Off in Dramatic Fashion

Germany 4-1 Denmark

 

Germany has thumped Denmark in the Round of 16, thanks largely to Danish goalkeeper Schmeichel being sent off and two goals resulting from Man of the Match Toni Kroos corners.

 

Germany made the one change with Rüdiger starting for Hector. Denmark made no significant changes, but switched to a back four and focused their attacking players more on the left. 

 

However, it was Germany who first attacked. Working against those Danish attacking players, Gomez made a good run and crossed from the right wing. Özil collected the ball in front of defender Kjær and then shot weakly, missing the goal.

 

Werner then had two chances to score. The latter was the better of the two as he saw Schmeichel off his line and tried to chip. Schmeichel, however, managed to backtrack and tip the ball over the bar.

 

From the corner kick, the Danish defence could only header the ball away for yet another corner. Then, Schmeichel saved the resulting shot brilliantly. Germany continued advancing, with missed opportunities from Rüdiger, Kroos and Werner, the last one a solid block by the Danish defence despite brilliant team passing leading up to the shot.

 

As the break approached, Werner found the ball on the left wing. He turned back, fooling his shadow Kjær, and crossed with his right. Running from the right was Gomez, whose header found the top right corner of the goal. 

 

With all the momentum, Germany again attacked in the second half. Özil ran towards goal, alone against Schmeichel. As he tipped the ball to his right, Schmeichel collected him on the leg, and the referee awarded Germany a penalty and marching orders to the Danish goalkeeper, the first red card of the tournament.

 

The drama was not over, for substitute goalkeeper Lössi, who had to take the place of forward Nicolai Jørgensen and fill the shoes of Schmeichel, dived the correct way and stopped Gomez’s spot kick.

 

Buoyed by such a remarkable few minutes, Denmark failed to mark players from the resulting corner. Kroos laid out the ball for Werner, who won a 50-50 battle with Mathius Jørgensen. The ball bobbled up and Werner was first to react, shooting across goal into the net on the far side.

 

Again, Denmark’s defence against corners failed when Kroos found Hummels. The German defender chested the ball to his advantage, before slamming Germany’s third goal.

 

With one less player on the field for Denmark, coach Åge Hareide shifted the team around, effectively playing Eriksen in midfield and running up into a striker’s role, while Poulsen and Cornelius worked the wings. Having a little more space opened up Denmark’s game, and they played a little more productively as they searched for a consolation goal. There was a missed volley from a cross, followed by an easy save for ter Stegen from Kvist’s misfire. 

 

Meanwhile, Özil caught Denmark on the fast break and as he ran towards goal, Lössi ran out and stopped the shot with his right arm, before knocking it away with his left as he lost complete balance.

 

Down the other end, ter Stegen failed to clear a back pass. Seizing a chance, Cornelius won the header over Hummels and chased the ball, shooting into the goal with his left.

 

Substitute Lerager also had a great chance soon after for Denmark’s second as he took on the German defence with a decisive run, only for his left-footer not to curl into the goal.

 

With the game all but over, German substitute Rudy received the ball from Lössi’s save of Muller’s shot and confirmed his nation’s place in the Quarter Finals.

 

Germany now face Spain in what seems to be the match to watch of the Quarter Finals we know of so far.

 

Denmark will have to reorganise their defence over the next few months, as fundamental errors allowed Germany to score. On the other hand, some stars emerged. Cornelius with his three goals and 73% rating is the pick of the players. Eriksen played well in parts, but not enough to carry his team. Larsen was effective and had an average rating of 71%. Mathius Jørgensen was of a similar elk in defence.

 

 

 

Germany

4-1

Denmark

18

10

49

18

2

5

55

83

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

6

3

51

20

1

1

50

80

 45’ #23 Gomez (#10 Werner assist)

 



 49’ #10 Werner (#18 Kroos assist)

 55’ #5 Hummels (#18 Kroos assist)

 59’ #10 Werner off, #13 Muller on

 59’ #14 Draxler off, #6 Khedira on

 

 

 

 85’ #8 Özil off, #19 Rudy on

 88’ #19 Rudy

 

 

 

 

48’ Schmeichel

 48’ #9 N. Jørgensen off, #12 Lössi on 

 

 



 

 59’ #15 Sisto off, #21 Cornelius on

 74’ #21 Cornelius

 74’ #7 Kvist off, #20 Lerager on

 

 

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on July 4, 2018
Last Updated on July 4, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing