Shadow Rising

Shadow Rising

A Chapter by Robert Francis Callaci
"

my sweet pupets

"

Shadow Rising (650 words)

         

“You shadow b******s will not defeat us. We will block the light from the sun, turn off all the lights and live in total darkness rather than see you slither about. Melt back into the void from whence you came. As long as we still breathe you will never see the light or feast on us again”.  (World Council Proclamation issued by Lord Ramadas �" 2065)

 

     The world we now live in is a black pit of despair. The little humanity that survived after the defeat of the Shadow Wraiths lives in underground bunkers and man-made caves. The cities, towns and villages that once dotted the world have been abandoned except for those few hardy souls who are willing to live in perpetual twilight. Our ecosystems have collapsed for without light very little can thrive and survive. We made the world a desolate wasteland in order to keep out the Shadow Wraiths but many of us, including myself, are wondering if it was worth it.

 

     My name is Zebidiah Kalso, Commander of the Twilight Project. Deep in an underground fortress located somewhere in the once sovereign state of Nevada, myself and a squad of solders and scientists numbering around one hundred and twenty souls are responsible for maintaining the integrity  and continued function of the force field that blocks 75% of the visible  light rays of the sun. As the 21st century comes to a close many of us are thinking that the project should as well.

 

     Dr Prescott Beaman was shocked by my command and with an incredulous tone said,”You can’t be serious, Commander. If we shut down the shield the shadows will leak out of the void. We will be overrun by those shadow beasts and cease to exist as free spirit entities.”

 

“Don’t you want to feel the sun against your skin, to see the world thrive again,” I said. “This time we’ll try to accommodate their needs in a way that will benefit us both.”

 

“This is madness; I, in good conscience will not be a part of this obscene plan that you intend to follow. We turned it down in “65” due to its evil and hideous nature. We sacrificed much ---half of humanity and the health of the world. We are not cattle ---we are human.” Said--- an angry and frightened Prescott.

 

“Sergeant, remove Dr Beaman from his station. Put him in the holding cells. I’m truly sorry, my dear friend, that you’ll not enjoy the fruits of the New Age.”

 

….

 

     As Overlords go, the Shadow Wraiths weren’t that bad. As a matter of fact they were quite accommodating to my demands and appreciative to me and my command for shutting down the force field.  They allowed us our individuality and promised to never possess or use us as an energy source. They allowed us to choose which race would be left to remain totally human to rebuild the world and help the Shadow Wraiths with their needs. Being that I was an American Indian, I chose them to be the last true Humans left on this earth. It was a kind of Poetic justice, the white man who has been a bane to us for centuries was now the defeated race. 

 

     I know many of you hiding from the shadow wraiths’ hunger see me and my group as traitors and abominations. I understand your anguish but if we kept things the way they were the human race and the world would have eventually been destroyed. I had to choose the few over the many.

 

     The world is again full of light, the ecosystems are coming back to life and Humanity is once again on the rise.  I know being yellow, brown or black has its setbacks but at least you get to live and become shadow puppets. It’s the whites who are the Wraiths’ culinary delight. Isn’t life good…?

                 

 



© 2016 Robert Francis Callaci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on July 4, 2016
Last Updated on July 4, 2016
Tags: mini shorts of all sorts-

Strange Tales for Lost Souls


Author

Robert Francis Callaci
Robert Francis Callaci

Port Richey, FL



About
My passion is writing- I've been writing a mythological tale on the many facets and faces of GOD- I've been a net poet for the past seventeen years- I'm a former admin at lit .org and active one (Patr.. more..

Writing