Chapter 98

Chapter 98

A Chapter by Jemma Packman

            Indigo, Summer and Ethan walk towards Gaz on the high school playing fields. Ethan runs to Gaz and shouts “Uncle Gaz.”

            Gaz turns around, picks up Ethan and says “Hey, big man. Miss me?”

            “Yes. Are we going to play video games later?”

            “Probably not tonight, but soon. Ok?” Ethan nods. “Where’s your ladies?”

            Indigo says “We’re here. Start explaining.”

            “We’ve lost three players. There was an accident, two people had to be taken to the hospital, I need you to fill in.”

            Summer says “There’s only two of us, Gaz. Unless you want Ethan to play?”

            “I’ve got another student, I need subs for the teachers. Please, guys?”

            Indigo says “It’s a student versus teacher game?” Gaz nods. “We’re not teachers.”

            “I know, but it’s been ok-ed by the principal.”

            Summer says “Fine. We’re here. Can we get on with it?”

            “We can start as soon as you’re changed.”

            Indigo says “Changed?”

            “Into something more suitable. Unless you want to play in your jeans?”

            “Show us where.”

            “Follow Hayden. She’ll show you to the locker room.”

            Hayden comes over to them and says “Nice to see you both again.”

            Ethan says “Hello, Elysia.”

            “Hello, Ethan. Are you playing today?”

            “No, I’m too little.”

            “Will you be bat boy for us?”

            “Can I, Mommy?”

            Summer says “Only if you get me the best one.”

            “That would be unfair.”

            “You’re right, son. Are you ok with Gaz for a while?”

            Ethan nods.  Hayden says “Follow me, ladies.”

            Summer, Indigo and Hayden walk away.

 

            Indigo, Summer and Hayden walk back to the field. Gaz is shouting at Gaude. Hayden groans. Summer says “What’s wrong?”

            Hayden says “I think Will is having issues with me being on his team.”

            “Why?”

            “Because I’m a girl. And I may have accidently had sex with his sister.”

            Indigo says “Accidently had sex? Did you not mean to?”

            “Oh, I meant to. I didn’t know she was his sister. Now he b*****s about anything even remotely to do with me.”

            Summer says “Was she hot?”

            Indigo says “Summer!”

            “What? If she’s putting up with his crap, she must be hot.”

            Hayden says “She is, and she’s sixteen.”

            Indigo says “I didn’t hear that.”

            “I said…”

            Summer says “Don’t repeat it. She’s a lawyer.”

            “Oh, erm, I didn’t push her or anything.”

            “Chill. We were in the same position in high school. Indigo was the older one, and she had the annoying brothers.”

            Indigo says “Speaking of, we better step in before he does something stupid.”

            “I’ll deal with it.”

            Summer runs to Gaz. Hayden says “I promise, I didn’t make her.”

            “It’s ok. Like Summer said, I was in your shoes. Do you like her?”

            “Yes, I do. I really like her.”

            “How long have you been together?”

            “Six months, officially. Not that anyone knows.”

            “Whose choice was it to keep it a secret?”

            “Hers, but I don’t care who knows or doesn’t know as long as I’m with her and she’s happy.”

            “Is she here?”

            “Yeah, she’s the watergirl.”

            Indigo looks at the watergirl. “She’s pretty, and I think she’s jealous.”

            Hayden looks. “She is, but who wouldn’t be. Besides, later I can show her I’ve only got eyes for her.”

            Summer yells. “Damn her temper.”

            Indigo runs to Summer and grabs her waist. Gaz says “Gaude, walk away. Now.”

            Gaude says “No, and I will not play with dykes.”

            “Then you won’t play at all.”

            “You can’t do that. You’ll be out of a job by Monday.”

            Indigo says “No he won’t.”

            “He will. I’ll make sure of it.”

            The principal walks over and says “Is there a problem here?”

            Summer says “Miss Giordano?”

            “It’s Mrs Tolkin now, Summer.”

            “You’re the principal?”

            “Yes.”

            “So, you can take care of this homophobic little s**t?”

            Indigo says “Calm down, Princess.”

            Gaude says “You’re the guy in this? Wouldn’t have guessed that.”

            Mrs Tolkin says “That’s enough, Mr Gaude.”

            Summer says “I have a challenge for you.”

            Gaude says “What would that be?”

            “Fire strike.”

            Gaz says “Sums, no.”

            Gaude says “What’s that?”

            Summer says “We fire fastballs at each other, first one to fall down loses. No padding.”

            “What are the stakes?”

            “I win, you lose your place on the team and you stop giving Hayden a hard time.”

            “And when I win, Coach Wyatt resigns and she never goes near my sister again.”

            “Try again, that’s not my business.”

            “Then I’ll think of something when I win.”

            “Fine.”

            “Deal.”

            Mrs Tolkin says “I’ll inform everyone of the change.”

            Gaz says “You’re letting this happen?”

            “Actions have consequences, Coach Wyatt. Let them learn that.”

            Mrs Tolkin walks away. Gaude says “Shall we start?”

            Summer says “Meet me at the mound.”

            Gaude walks away. Gaz looks at Summer and says “Are you out of your mind?”

            “Nope.”

            Indigo says “Princess, what’s going on?”

            “He needs teaching a lesson.”

            Hayden says “I agree, but you’re going to get hurt.”

            “Only a bit, but so will he.”

            Gaz says “He throws, like, a 70mph fastball.”

            “What a p***y. Let’s go.”

            Summer walks towards the mound. Hayden says “Is she crazy or fearless?”

            Indigo says “Stubborn. Gaz, can you distract Ethan? He shouldn’t watch this.”

            Gaz says “No, he shouldn’t. You do remember what happen last time she played fire strike?”

            “Yes, I do, that’s why you need to keep him away.”

            Gaz walks to Ethan. Hayden says “What happened?”

            “Summer shattered Gaz’s left kneecap. Let’s go. Actually, you better tell your girlfriend what’s going on.” Hayden nods and runs to her girlfriend. Indigo walks to Summer and Gaude. “Who’s up first and what rules have been set?”

            Summer says “None yet, waiting for the umpire. And here she comes.”

            Mrs Tolkin walks to them and says “Are you both sure you want to do this?” Summer and Gaude nod. “Fine. No shots above the shoulders or you will be disqualified. If you get knocked down, you have five seconds to get up. My decision is final. Got it?”

            Summer says “Yes.”

            Gaude says “Got it.”

            Mrs Tolkin says “As you’re being so childish about this, one round of rock, paper, scissors decides starting place.”

            Summer and Gaude play. Summer loses. Gaude says “Get used to that feeling.”

            Summer smiles and walks towards home plate. Indigo walks with her and says “You lost on purpose.”

            Summer says “I know.”

            “You know your mom is going to kill me?”

            “She’ll understand, but do you?”

            “He’s a bully, and you’ve always despised bullies.” Summer laughs. “Don’t hurt him too much?”

            “Only as much as he deserves.”

            Indigo kisses Summer and goes to sit on the bench. Mrs Tolkin says “Ready?” Summer stedies herself and nods. “Begin.” Gaude throws the ball and hits Summer in the shoulder. “Switch.” Summer and Gaude change places. Gaude steadies himself. Summer throws the ball and hits Gaude in the crotch. Gaude doubles over. “One. Two. Three. Four…” Gaude straightens up. “Switch.” Summer and Gaude swap places. Gaude throws the ball and hits Summer in the back. “That’s a warning, Mr Gaude. You forfeit your next turn. Switch.”

            Summer walks back to Gaude. “Second throw and playing dirty? Scared?”

            Gaude says “You should watch your back.” Gaude walks to home plate. Summer waits for him to be ready and throws, hitting him in the thigh. Gaude shuffles his feet and Summer quickly throws, hitting him in the ankle. Gaude falls down. Mrs Tolkin starts counting. Gaude stands up. “She cheated.”

            Summer shrugs. “I thought you were ready.”

            Mrs Tolkin says “Switch.”

            Summer and Gaude swap. As Summer turns around, Gaude throws, hitting Summer in the throat. Summer coughs. “All good. Cleared that lump.”

            “Summer, come here.” Summer walks to Mrs Tolkin. Mrs Tolkin looks at Summer’s neck. Summer shakes her head. “Second warning, Mr Gaude.”

            Gaude says “What for?”

            “That was only just in line with the shoulders. Two shots, Summer.” Gaude storms to home plate. Summer throws and hits Gaude just under the ribcage. He bends over but stands up quickly. Summer throws again, hitting him in the same ankle as before. Gaude yells in pain but doesn’t fall. “Switch.” They trade places again. Gaude throws, hitting Summer in the knee. Summer doesn’t move. They trade places when told. Summer notices Gaude limping and grins. Summer takes the ball in her other hand and throws. The ball hits Gaude in the injured ankle, knocking him off his feet. “One. Two.” Gaude tries to stand. “Three.” Gaude falls back down. “Four. Five, and out.”

            Mrs Tolkin and Summer walk to Gaude. Summer says “You ok down there?”

            Gaude says “F**k you.”

            “Eww, no. Now, loser, you better keep to the terms.”

            “Or what? I could sue you for this.”

            “Or I will have you charged with bullying and harassment, maybe even threatening behaviour. And I’m pretty sure you can’t sue me for a sports injury.”

            “It’s assault.”

            Indigo walks over and says “Excuse me, how old are you?”

            “Eighteen. Why?”

            “Then you are no longer a minor. You entered into an arrangement knowing you could be injured, and that you could injure someone else, of your own will. You were given the chance to back out, which you didn’t take. You have no grounds.”

            “You can’t make me quit the team.”

            Mrs Tolkin says “I can. It’s your punishment for harassing Miss Hayden. If it continues with her, or any other student, you will be suspended. Do I make myself clear?”

            “Yes, ma’am.”

            Mrs Tolkin looks at Summer. “As for you, Miss Xander. Happy birthday.”

            Summer says “Thank you, Mrs Tolkin.”

            “Please, call me Judy.”

            Summer nods. Hayden and Gaude’s sister walk over to them. Hayden says “You’re Summer Xander? You’re a legend.”

            Summer says “Indigo’s the sports star, not me.”

            “Not because of sports.”

            Ethan runs to Summer and says “Mommy, did you play that bad game again?”

            “Yes, son, but I had to.”

            “Did you win?”

            Summer points to Gaude. “Ask him.”

            Ethan looks at Gaude. “Did you lose to my mommy?”

            Gaude hangs his head and says “Yes.”

            Indigo says “We’d better get going.”

            Gaz says “Go get changed first.” Gaz puts an ice-pack on Gaude’s ankle. “I’ve got Ethan.”

            Summer and Indigo walk to the locker room. Ethan says “Is Mommy really a legend, and is that good?”

            Hayden says “It’s good. Your mommy did a lot of things to help people, and she doesn’t know it.”

            “She’s a hero?”

            “She is to me.”

            Mrs Tolkin says “Maybe that’s a story for another day. Coach Wyatt, make sure Mr Gaude returns his uniform. I’ll inform his parents.”

            Mrs Tolkin walks away. Gaz says “Gaude, you need to get this ankle checked.”

            Gaude says “My sister will take me to the hospital. Right, Yale?”

            Yale says “Erm, no. I’ve got a date with my girlfriend.”

            Yale holds Hayden’s hand. “Your what?”

            “You heard me. You can walk to the hospital.”

            Hayden says “We can take him. Think of all the fun you can have teasing him about being beaten by a girl.”

            “Good idea. Help him up.”

            Hayden holds out her hand to Gaude. Gaude pushes it away. “Really? Your call.”

            Hayden and Yale start to walk away. Gaude says “Wait.”

            Hayden goes back, helps Gaude up and supports him as they walk away. Ethan says “Uncle Gaz?”

            Gaz says “Yes, big man?”

            “Why is Mommy a legend and a hero?”

            “Because she stands up for people that can’t, or won’t, stand up for themselves.”

            “Can I be a hero one day?”

            “You can be whatever you set your mind to.”


© 2018 Jemma Packman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on January 23, 2018
Last Updated on January 23, 2018

Finding Summer


Author

Jemma Packman
Jemma Packman

Hull, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jemma Packman


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Jemma Packman