Miss Grayson

Miss Grayson

A Chapter by Edwina
"

A wealthy socialite opens an antique shop in a small town by the railroad tracks. She shakes the town up a bit with her unorthodox approach to life.

"
 Brenda Grayson, Daniel discovered, was a very unusual woman. She believed in ghosts, astrology, was a vegetarian since birth. She attended seances, loved to light candles at the Catholic church, but hated the religion. The idea of having a middleman to connect her to the Almighty just rubbed her the wrong way. She loved Holidays, and always decorated her shop windows each year.The day Daniel walked into her shop her life changed for the better. She was working on an astrology chart for a local psychiatrist when Daniel walked into her front room in order to introduce himself as the "occasional beat cop security guy."  

He gave a quick background on himself, and Brenda was delighted that he was a bachelor. He stood 6 feet, weighed 165 pounds, and had thick black wavy hair. He had a charming smile, and perfect teeth. His eyes were dark blue, and he told her that he was a Scorpio, and gave her his birth date she immediately asked for.

He noticed the astrology charts on her wall, and asked if "that stuff" really works. "You will find out" is all she could say about the subject. A week later he went to get his reading at her apartment above the locksmith's shop. Brenda described him as "attracting jealousy from females, and being accident prone with males, and metal objects." 

He was a very protective male, and hated men who were cruel to children, women, and animals. He talked about his parents dying in a train wreck during a rainstorm, and how his Father's brother and wife had raised him from the age of 8.

 He got good grades in school, and decided to become a cop. Moving to Riverdale Park seemed like the best choice for him. The town had a rich history, and yet, retained an old town charm. He liked old houses, and ice cream, drama TV shows, movies, walking in the woods, looking at the stars, and taking long rides in his car. 

His little rental house on Tuckerman Street suited him "for now" and he was always taking extra classes in order to be a good peace officer. He loved handcuffing bad people, rescuing animals in peril, talking to children, and sleeping.

Brenda was very attracted to him despite their 20 year age difference. When the reading was over, and the iced tea was gone, Daniel bid her "good night, and thank you," then descended the side steps, and clutched his projected 3 month Astrology forecast in his right hand. He promised to mark the "pertinent dates" on his calendar. Brenda watched him drive away, and wondered when she would be seeing him again. Then she took a shower.

C. J. Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

360 Views
Added on December 2, 2013
Last Updated on December 2, 2013
Tags: women, independence, originality

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina