Riddle's Animal Haven

Riddle's Animal Haven

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Farm animals get a big break from the specter of death.

"

Farleigh finally came out of his "mourning mode" and agreed to accompany Brenda and her hired farm hand Earl Preston to fetch the pigs. He drove from Beltsville, and stayed overnight. Most of the packing chores were done, except for the mannequin relocations to be done from the shop when the time was right.
Farleigh followed Brenda all over the house like a lost puppy. He had brought a sturdy pair of rubber boots, and a warm hat. He didn't like slaughterhouses, and was seriously thinking of giving up meat altogether. Mr. Preston would pick the two animal lovers up at 9 AM in his stock hauler, and take them to the slaughterhouse where the pigs were awaiting a rescue from death.
Whenever Brenda had male company, she always wanted to end up on the living room couch talking about deep subjects. She had rejected so many suitors because they were shallow. They had one track minds, and most were after her money,or social connections. A few were sincerely attracted to her as a person, but again, they were just plain boring. Daniel and Farleigh never bored her, and Mr. Griffin couldn't bore anyone, even if he took "bore" lessons.
After a light supper, and dessert, Farleigh made love to Brenda in front of the fireplace. They seemed so right for each other. Her fondest wish was to have all of the Blundons back in the house for a nice reunion. There were some of Fannie's relatives still living in Riverdale Park. Brenda marveled at her lack of "balls" when it came to introducing herself to strangers. Surely the relatives would want to see her windows, and the big old house? or maybe they didn't care ?
Brenda climbed into Preston's old truck, and Farleigh sat on the right hand side by the door. Brenda's trusty coffee thermos sat between her knees, and her purse held a lot of money. Preston entered the slaughterhouse yard slowly, and parked by the office. He wandered off to find the pigs while Brenda collected health papers for her four adopted children. She was ushered out to the collecting pen, and Farleigh held her arm. 
The owner, Mr. Torrance, pointed to the pigs, and Brenda called to them. They grunted, and moved around nervously. She was glad that a spayed female had been donated to the slaughterhouse under the condition that they would try to find her a home. That was to be "Minnehaha" in a short time. Papers were finalized, fees paid and the pigs were loaded onto the truck under a canvas tarp. 
Brenda walked a few feet, and spoke to a man with a bad cough about a dairy cow in a separate pen. He said her name was "Mary Belle" and that she was not producing. She was 5 years old, but in good health. Brenda phoned the sanctuary, and asked if they would take the cow for an extra payment. They agreed to do so if the cow passed a vet check, and had her shots up to date. Brenda paid for her new cow.
Mr. Torrance said that he would get a vet note, and deliver the cow to Riddle's by 3 PM. Brenda and her two male friends headed to the vets office for a quick check on the pigs. Tom Harris, D.V. M. cleared them for a fee of 12 dollars, and wished her well. Brenda was a nervous parent. Farleigh didn't say much because the slaughterhouse upset him. He said he liked Hiram the best.
The pigs were unloaded into a separate shed away from the other pigs at the sanctuary. Brenda said she would pay for repairs. She pitched in when the staff began to fill the stalls with straw, and feed the pigs a small meal. Tesla, Hiram Abiff, Webster Wagner, and Minnehaha were not going to be murdered on this day.
Brenda paid one year's feed bill in advance, added 100 dollars for the shed supplies, took a quick look at the facilities, and thanked the owners Cal and Mae for taking them in. She promised to come back as soon as possible to check on them, and see if they would tolerate belly rubs. Earl took Brenda and Farleigh home. He pocketed a generous bonus, and told her to call him any time for any of her animal related needs.
C J Marks


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
Added on January 19, 2014
Last Updated on January 19, 2014
Tags: slaughter, trucks, rescues, pigs, kindness

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina