Deck The Halls

Deck The Halls

A Chapter by Edwina
"

A lazy day at home

"
 
Brenda spent a hyperactive Sunday in the attic looking for Christmas decorations. Daniel studied his latest proposed case, and felt that private adult clubs were off limits as long as they weren't breaking any laws. He and Gerard had visited a few strip joints, and found nothing "unusual" about them, but the private clubs were rumored to have live sex shows under the guise of "education."  

As much as Daniel liked sex, he didn't want to go under cover to watch people have sex on a stage. He felt that it would be a waste of valuable time, and resources. He wanted to beg off, and hoped that Gerard would decline the job, as well. "Let the D.C. cops handle it."

Brenda hauled boxes down the steps, and left them in the upstairs hallway. She wanted to know more about the Blundons.  After a light lunch, she called Pauline Kirby, and asked if she had any news clippings about the train accidents that took the lives of 3 young boys across from the Blundon house, and killed Mr. Blundon as well at a later date. 

Pauline said that she had several articles about weddings, and funerals, but nothing pertaining to the train accidents.  Anything she could recall herself was bound to be vague.She suggested that Brenda might be able to obtain newspapers from the library, but that police report records were most likely sealed.

Brenda promised to meet her for coffee Monday, and then asked Daniel if he knew how to get information about the train accidents. He said he would ask around. Brenda knew that there were still Blundon children living as adults in the area, but asking them for such delicate information was out of the question. Pauline did remember "someone mentioning" a son in law, a Mr. Warren who was around town occasionally.

Mr. Claude Warren was the first one from the family who had observed Mr. Blundon's body after he had been hit by a train in front of the house. Claude E. Warren had been married to Carrie Lee Blundon who died in 1919 from Influenza. They produced a son, John Francis Warren, who was a physician in the vicinity. Mr. Warren remarried after Carrie died.

A brand new boiler was to be be set up in the basement Wednesday, and the radiators would be humming in no time. Herbie Clayton came highly recommended by Mr. Griffin. If anyone knew heating systems it was "Young Herbie."  Brenda hired 3 black women from Hyattsville to come Thursday and help her dust and clean the downstairs. The upstairs would be tackled the following Thursday. Everything had to be ready for the private Christmas tour. The general public would not invited until the following year.

Service people were easy to come by in Riverdale Park. The wood shed was stacked neatly with oak, and cedar logs. All of the roofing shingles had been repaired. The window seat had a new cushion. There was little else to do but get ready for her first Christmas with Daniel in their nice old house.

It may have been a bit premature, but Brenda wanted to put Daniel into her will as sole beneficiary. He would get the stewardship position for the Blundon house, and a large treasure chest to keep it afloat. She would surprise him on Christmas day with the news. Her shop window idea was at a standstill. She wanted to honor the Blundon family, but might need another mannequin or two. She wanted the whole family featured, if possible. The costumes were not a problem. Brenda's mother had saved "just about everything" for many decades.

Daniel helped with cooking dinner, and setting the table. After they ate, and finished dishes, Brenda told him that she still had all of her father's costumes. She excused herself, and retrieved a black scrapbook from her bedroom. 

Daniel was amused that her father, Donald, was a cross dresser. He often dressed in drag a few times for military parties, and plays, but his big secret had been the photographs he posed for and put into an album as a gift to his wife, Mary Phoebe. 

He dressed as Cleopatra, Lizzie Borden, Clara Barton, Mary Shelly, and several others. His slender build and chiseled features were perfect for feminine make up and outfits.  Brenda debated whether she should show the pictures to her friends. 

Daniel thought it was a good idea to do so, and that it was considered an art form to impersonate the other gender. The Riverdale Park Bohemians were taking shape. There would be seances, costume parties, fund raisers, cemetery visits, and strange window displays.
C J.Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
Added on December 5, 2013
Last Updated on December 10, 2013
Tags: Christmas, vices, photographs, father, impersonations

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina