The Strangest One Of All

The Strangest One Of All

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Brenda gears up for her Christmas party, and hopes that it will be the best one ever.

"
 
When Brenda had most of her party "festoonery" ready for action, and merriment, she telephoned Farleigh, and asked him if he would like to come a day early, and spend a few days with her if he wished. He said that he would like to do that, but didn't have a costume. Brenda reminded him about her wardrobe closet, and promised that he would stand "heads above all of the other gents guaranteed." in his Edwardian outfit.

The "black helpers" were well paid, and "Rose" promised to show up the day after the gathering to clean up, and help in any way she could. Her main job in Brenda's life was to hunt down "her people" who may have known the Blundons. It didn't matter who they were, and how they "fit into the scheme of things," Miss Grayson wanted to know what went on in "those days" for Negroes, and how they were treated by the "white people".

She never allowed anyone to use the word "n****r" when describing black people. The term "black" was no more offensive than being called "white" and Brenda liked most black people. Her friends often said "Nigras" instead of "Negroes" and as long as they were respectful, Brenda allowed them into her circle. She often wondered if white people simply didn't know anything about tribal living.

 Her charitable donations were always welcomed in the "former slave" community. She had paid many a medical bill for people who couldn't afford to see a doctor, and packaged up more than a few hundred "clothing boxes" in her lifetime. The only people who got on her nerves were abusive types, obnoxious drunks, and destructive sorts. Her window washer could cuss up a storm, and hated "blacks" but he didn't come around often. Brenda considered giving the window washing task to anyone related to the blacks in Mr. Blundon's life, as long as they did a good job and respected her crazy window displays.

Mr. Griffin confirmed that he would be at her party, and have Webster in tow carrying his Marzipan Octopi. Helene Shelby promised to come dressed as Chopin, and would be bringing her "girlfriend" George Sand in a lace gown and top hat. The outdoor lights were not quite "Edwardian" but they looked beautiful all in red. If Jeffrey Larkin showed up, Brenda wanted to shock his socks off in any way possible. The further they flew, the better. This Christmas party promised to be the strangest one of all.

The Christmas shop windows were rather mundane, but colorful. Being featured in the papers wasn't "everything" to her, and she'd certainly had her fair share of fame over the last few years. 

Daniel "checked in" by phone and said that he would be in touch again before the New Year. Brenda said that she had a gift in mind for Henry, but that it may have to wait until he's older. Daniel wanted to be with her, but the big family "Christmas Hoe Down" was impossible to avoid. Brenda told him not to "wing dang do" too hard, and hurt his knee.  

CJ MARKS


© 2015 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
Added on May 17, 2015
Last Updated on May 17, 2015
Tags: Negroes, Christmas, History, Decorations, Costumes, queers

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina