Lemuel

Lemuel

A Chapter by Edwina
"

As promised, Brenda finds a new helper.

"
  
When Brenda was satisfied with her caboose activities, she headed for the shop to meet with her new window washer, Lemuel Solomon. Several people were looking at the half finished Springtime theme scattered throughout the front windows. It wasn't easy coming up with fresh ideas. Her "Hot air balloon" Jesus hadn't been a great hit, but it was amusing to see people trying to look up his "dress" as one little boy had described it.
Lemuel arrived on time carrying a metal lunch pail, and a red soda. He leaned his  bike against the wall.  Several people gave him a strange look, but Brenda kept him in full view lest he "be out to attack the white lady because of his jungle nature" and, of course, steal her cash box.  Brenda shook his hand and mentioned the funny business card with a mule on it. 
Lemuel said that his father sold mules, and horses. His demeanor was friendly, and polite . He wore a clean pale blue shirt with baggy tan trousers.  His references were excellent, and he preferred to work morning and afternoon hours if possible. His brother was the family night owl who cleaned offices in Hyattsville. Lemuel attended evening bible studies a few nights a week. 
Brenda wanted to press him for more information about his life, but stopped short of mentioning the Blundons. Any quizzing could take place later if he could agree to install her sump pump.
He offered to work for 75 cents an hour, and Brenda said that the amount was "not acceptable." After a few awkward seconds she added "I always pay a dollar an hour."
 Lemuel  heartily agreed to that amount, and in addition, was entitled to a free cup of coffee courtesy of the  Big Cup Cafe next door every time he worked.  He had his own buckets, squeegees  and cloths that he could tie to the back of his bicycle. Brenda offered to store the soap drum, and hand clippers for the weeds hovering near her back door. After agreeing to the idea  Lemuel Solomon  left the meeting with a wave, a smile, and a bell tone from his right handlebar.
Brenda headed to the cafe, and mentioned that her old cussing window washer was now replaced with a fine Christian black man. She paid 5 dollars in advance for any coffee he ordered during his work days ahead, and  that he'd be taking the container "to go." Karen Shaw said  she wanted to meet him, and see about his washing her shop windows since brother Billy was working and living in the "district." For the most part, "colored" people were welcomed into any establishment on the square. Brenda's parents had made certain that she tried to treat everyone fairly until they earned "otherwise" through negativity. 
 


© 2018 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on January 15, 2018
Last Updated on January 15, 2018
Tags: negro, employment, humor

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina