Daddy's Binoculars

Daddy's Binoculars

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Keeping an eye on the little house must be done in a subtle fashion, or not.

"
Brenda unpacked her father's binoculars, and kept them on her nightstand. She would be keeping her eyes on the tiny saltbox house whenever she felt a pang of insecurity. Maybe Daniel would find a time to flip the light on and off when he locked their front door across the tracks. A love signal. She would put a light in her bedroom window just for him. Something with a pink shade.

It would be lonely, but until he was actually "gone" and living with Caitlin, she would do everything she could to make him happy. His Aunt and Uncle bought into his story about "being a good husband and father" but around Brenda, Daniel was sarcastic and bitter, except for the father part.

 His child would have bits and pieces of his parents in him or her. He would share love with the child, and try to get along with Caitlin. Her drinking worried him a lot. He didn't want the baby to suffer from her bad habits. He felt that anything outside of being a good father was nothing more than playing a role. Thinking about all the family functions ahead, and being away from Brenda much of the time gave his stomach "flip flops."

"Father to be" took a trip to Baltimore over the weekend, and Brenda got busy with a Valentine display for her window. Robert and Shirley would be standing by a soda fountain display in 1930's clothing. Mannequin "Waters" would be Cupid behind the counter, his missing arm covered by a feathered wing. 

Stuffed toys would be hanging from the ceiling on ribbons. Hearts everywhere. Fake red ice cream cones, and a real red wedding cake to be served to the customers on Valentine's day along with plenty of coffee. Karen Shaw would be hired to help if she could get permission from the boss.

While Daniel was in Baltimore, Brenda meditated in her favorite chair and thought about Joseph, and Fannie Blundon. How did they hold their spirits up when the 3 boys were killed ? She heard a definite "We didn't" inside her head. She immediately got up, and called Rowena Kent in Beltsville. Rowena lived in an old farm house with her aging husband Frank. 

She said that the spirits communicate in many ways, and that Brenda should spend more time trying to reach the Blundons because "You know your mother and father are fine, Brenda, so reach out to these wonderful people."  Brenda asked her when she could come to the house and help with a seance. Rowena said that mid February would be fine, and Brenda invited her to attend the Valentine cake party at the shop if convenient.

Brenda made another decision. It was time to confide in Mr. Griffin completely. She respected him the most of anyone else in her social circle. The women couldn't be trusted to stay mum on the issues. Daniel's wedding day would come and go, and she would live through it. Meanwhile, she had to pretend that she was happy about Daniel's new direction in life, but Mr. Griffin would know the truth.

C J. Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

329 Views
Added on December 8, 2013
Last Updated on December 8, 2013
Tags: Snooping, separating, phobias

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina