Come As You Are

Come As You Are

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Mr.Griffin's Christmas party takes on charitable overtones.

"
Farleigh and Brenda dug through the tall costume boxes for appropriate outfits to wear to Mr. Griffin's Christmas party. They settled on the Victorian era because the costumes were pressed, and ready to go. Farleigh looked like he belonged in a Dicken's novel, and Brenda resembled Lizzie Borden in her red silk dress. The two would be separating for awhile after Christmas because Farleigh said that he "goes a little crazy" on New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day. His father, and wife had both died on that day of year, and it was "hard to forget."
Brenda didn't try to talk him out of it, or offer to stay with him in Beltsville. It was not her role to play. Other women may have coddled him, or tried to talk him out of "being alone" but Brenda knew that the spirits were helping Farleigh to see that they were fine. He was getting stronger and more assertive. A "mother figure" Brenda was not. Dr. Sullivan was the psychiatrist, and she was the Spiritualist. Farleigh Walker was "just a man" looking for the truth in reality.
The two prepared for the party, and left the house at 6 P.M. Mr. Griffin's house was a magnificent old mansion on Gallatin Street in Hyattsville. It wasn't quite a four square, and not quite a fancy gingerbread, but the big white home had 3 stories, a wicked basement, two kitchens, eight bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, several turrets, and a widow's walk despite the fact there was no ocean near by. 
When Farleigh rang to doorbell, a Colonial host greeted them, took their invitation card, and placed it into a basket. A Colonial maid gathered up their coats, and an official looking Butler announced their arrival to the assembled guests. Mr. Griffin stepped forward, kissed Brenda's cheek, and shook Farleigh's hand. The two were ushered into the drawing room where the mysterious "Webster" was telling everyone about his photographic ideas.
People were dressed plain and fancy. A few of the Freemasons were dressed in ancient looking Scottish costumes. One lady dressed like Mother Goose, and another wore a bright green Flapper dress with pink feathers in her hair. Mr. Griffin made a few announcements about charity. Brenda answered questions about her display window between sips of punch. When the guests were sufficiently "oiled" she planned to mention the pigs, and Hobo's. Farleigh took awhile to warm up, but launched into a long speech about Vansville, and the plans for Organic gardening. 
Mr. Griffin's friends, and associates had been chosen carefully for his parties. They were sometimes rich, and influential, but made well aware that the new and old could exist with proper planning. He believed in equal opportunities, and the importance of community. His Colonial costume made him look like he had walked out of a meeting with George Washington, also a Freemason. He carried a long clay pipe for effect, and made everyone laugh when he asked his pet Schnauzer to "play dead" on command, and "fool the enemy."
Brenda was amazed by everything Mr. Griffin did. Despite his wealth, he remained humble, dedicated, and generous. There were days he "even washed some of his own windows" with Webster. He credited his mother for"keeping his eyes on the sky, and his feet on the ground."
Brenda was served a vegetarian dinner. Everyone knew how she felt about animals. Farleigh passed up the meat as well. Webster began taking photographs as soon as the guests retreated to the parlor. The event was guaranteed to be in the Society section. Not many people dressed up in costumes for Christmas unless they were in a pageant, or play, and the editor wanted something different from the "kiddies" on Santa's knee.
Brenda mentioned the animal sanctuary, and Hobo King she'd read about in the papers. She shared her plans to sponsor several pigs, and mentioned the names she planned for them. One woman giggled, and found the idea "sweet."  The Hobo King has been asking for a special place to store food, and soap supplies. Brenda mentioned the small brick building near the trolley away from the residential area. With proper supervision, the hobo's wouldn't be begging for food, or leaving a mess. The Hobo King said that the majority of his friends were not trouble makers.
The party broke up at 10 PM, and Brenda presented Mr. Griffin with his 1952 astrology forecast rolled up, and secured by ribbon, and sealing wax. Freemasons believed in astrology, and in due time, Brenda would be doing a lot more horoscopes for people in need, or people in her circle.
C J. Marks 


© 2014 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

322 Views
Added on January 1, 2014
Last Updated on January 1, 2014

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina