Caitlin, Mo, and Joy

Caitlin, Mo, and Joy

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Petty little minds discuss one local "misfit"

"
Brenda was a hot topic with Caitlin, Grandma "Mo" and neighbor Joy. Harriet had been instrumental in helping Brenda to obtain the Blundon house with Mr. Griffin's help. Harriet had been "half invited" to a seance when they got rolling, but she wasn't sure it was a proper thing to do with her upbringing. She saw no reason why she couldn't attend one at Halloween for fun, but her pharmacist husband would not like the idea. Caitlin said that Daniel "didn't speak well of" Brenda at times, but he certainly enjoyed the perks she provided in the way of free storage, and free party cake.
Grandma "MO" said that she passed the shop one day and saw Brenda dancing in the rear of the shop with a small male mannequin. She thought better of going inside, and introducing herself, and headed to the coffee shop instead. After all, "Daniel's wife's grandmother" wouldn't ring a bell to a wealthy socialite. 
Joy found Brenda to be "snooty, and out of place" in their little town. Brenda often dressed in flirty costumes for special occasions, and that rubbed some women the wrong way. Why wasn't Brenda married with grandchildren by now ? Must be something wrong with her. Yes, that was IT ! She was selfish.
Farleigh phoned Brenda and asked her if she would like to eat Thanksgiving with him in Beltsville, and that there "wouldn't be any meat served." She said she would love to, and he agreed to pick her up at 10 AM on Thanksgiving Day. She said that she would be at her shop, and to pick her up there. 
He said he would call the day before to make certain that she "hadn't changed her mind." Before he hung up, she asked him for his date of birth. He was happy that she would be looking into his Astrology signs. She was relieved that he called, and had invited her to get out of town and enjoy a nice visit with him.
The Thanksgiving Day Window was finally finished. Brenda had an idea to place a sign behind the Turkey Chef that read " Master Baster."  What would the old ladies, and Priests think ? It was 1951, not 1867. Surely the Victorians were a little naughty ? On second thought, the Edwardian's had them beat by a mile. What would the Blundon's think back in 1890 ? Would they want her sent to the looney bin ? Run out of town on a rail ? Tarred, and feathered ? Drawn and quartered ?
Probably not, but Caitlin. Mo, and Joy most certainly would. Harriet would have more mercy. The looney bin might suffice for poor old Miss Grayson.
C J. Marks
 


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
Added on December 15, 2013
Last Updated on December 15, 2013
Tags: gossip

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina