Discontent

Discontent

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Characters kill time just like the rest of us. Brenda craves more definition in her love life.

"
Farleigh wasn't telephoning as often as he had been. Brenda and Fiona joked about his new relationship with the mannequin Edwina, but their conversation contained no malice. Brenda was worried about him a bit, and Fiona offered to contact the spirits of Edwina and Frederick, but she already felt that they were deeply immersed in spiritual life, and were simply waiting for Farleigh to "catch up." Farleigh still loved Edwina as a wife, and lover, but she wanted to be with Frederick, and saw Farleigh as a stepson. Fiona would be reluctant to share that particular aspect of the news with Farleigh. He was clearly, still a man in love.

Brenda decided to move the Joseph Blundon mannequin into her own bedroom in order to possibly experience what Farleigh was going through with his "girl." Her life was a bit unstable in the romance department, and with any luck, Mr. Blundon would share his finest moments by way of telepathy. He had attended many social events, and weddings during his lifetime, and more than his share of funerals, so a bit of lightheartedness was in order. Brenda had dressed him in an 1890 outfit, complete with a pocket watch, and moustache. With no photographs to go by, many of her adult mannequins would have to "wing it" for the time being.

The "reenactment" went off without a hitch. Daniel called Brenda, and described the scenes, the guns, townspeople, and horses. Mr. Griffin was in his element. Caitlin's shining moment came when Daniel grabbed his musket, and told her to "Run with the others and hide. Hurry, woman." Baby Henry laughed as she scurried across the field toward a small cabin clutching him with her big chest bouncing. When the small battle was finished, a photographer called the women and children out to the center of the field for pictures. Caitlin would be appearing in the newspapers the following day, so Daniel urged Brenda to get a copy, or that he would "be happy to bring one by" the following evening. Brenda needed "something" brought by, but it certainly wasn't an image of Caitlin. She agreed to see him at 7 PM.

Brenda phoned her Historical Society friends, and mentioned the iron fence "mostly" surrounding her house. After a bit of light gossip, she brought up the subject of the Caboose. Most of them were all for it, but to be fair, they wanted to see sketches of the proposed "set up" and to know more about the caboose, itself. Since Brenda hadn't exactly found one to buy for 100% certain, she had to share a few vague second, and third party references. They were most assuredly hunting for her since there was a finder's fee involved. Old cabooses didn't tend to hang around for long, especially one that may have been on a train like the ones that killed Blundon, and the boys, albeit at separate times.

An 1895 caboose was the most sought after. They tended to be larger than average, and could hold a "lot" of mannequins. They would be the train gang represented in her side yard.
Some people might find it tacky, or morbid, but if things became worrisome in that department, she could always add curtains that closed. Brenda was becoming obsessed with mannequins, and if any of her associates were concerned about it, they didn't show anything outwardly. Little did they know that she wanted to "
eventually"
 add a passenger car as well.

C J Marks

 
  


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
Added on May 23, 2014
Last Updated on May 23, 2014

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina