Society Girl

Society Girl

A Chapter by Edwina
"

The third degree for a potential homeowner

"
 
The Historical Society meeting was held at Pauline Kirby's Victorian house on Oglethorpe Street. Brenda was a little nervous, but Mr. Fairfield Perry Griffin assured her that she was "pretty much" the person whom they would like to own the house.

The minutes were read, and Halloween was mentioned. The Halloween parties were held in Hyattsville, and Riverdale. Most of the members liked Halloween, but a few of them refrained from celebrating for religious reasons. 

Brenda was introduced by Mr. Griffin, and the questions began right away. She talked about her parents, life in Beltsville,  the antique shop, her unconventional mother, and her love of genealogy, history, and preservation. 

She believed that the Blundon house needed to be preserved not only for the sake of Blundon family history, but to maintain the integrity of the entire neighborhood.  She outlined her financial stability, noted the repairs that needed to be done, and promised to do "right" by the town in any other ways that she could.  

It would be her main residence, and that no more than 2 people would live there permanently as long as she owned it. If she was ever to sell the house, a Society member would have first choice. If she died, her husband or administrator would keep the house in good condition until the funds ran out, and "go from there."

Brenda wished that Daniel could be by her side right then, but what if everything went badly, and they didn't allow her to buy the house ? She would feel foolish.  Mr. Griffin patted her on the arm, and said that he would contact her soon. Then he, and Mrs Wilson left together. 

 Later that night, Brenda had a dream that Mr. Griffin was the devil, and he asked her what she was willing to do to "absolutely" get that house. He leered at her in a very uncharacteristic fashion, lunged toward her, and she awoke.

Her ticking clock matched the beats of her heart. 
The leaves on the tree outside her window were illuminated by the street light and had begun to turn golden yellow. A train roared by.
 At 4 A.M. she finally fell back to sleep. 

Another dream followed. She was walking along the railroad tracks and saw a man dressed in Edwardian clothing looking at her. He seemed very sad. He pointed to a small house on Rhode Island avenue just down from the shoe shop. Then he vanished.

C J. Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
Added on December 3, 2013
Last Updated on December 3, 2013
Tags: approval, nerves, promises, scrutiny

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina