The Little Family

The Little Family

A Chapter by Edwina
"

November begs a special storefront window

"
Fall had clearly arrived, and Brenda needed to decorate her shop window with something unusual, as usual. She headed upstairs to the Thanksgiving Holiday costume box, found an Indian outfit with feathers, a braided black wig, bead worked vest, tan colored pegged pants for head mannequin Robert and a Pilgrim dress for Shirley. 

Her child mannequin, "Waters Blundon" would be the orphan son of a departed father. He'd be dressed as a pilgrim, with an arm missing. Brenda would have to get the local dressmaker to make his costume from a pattern. 

The proposed Thanksgiving scene eluded her for a few minutes until Daniel came upstairs to see what she was doing. She asked him if her could drop her off at the shop before he went to work. He pointed to his wristwatch, and held up 5 fingers. She grabbed the costumes, and headed downstairs to finish her coffee. 
Daniel kissed her before he opened the front door. No need to "feed suspicious neighbors with grist for the gossip mill." Brenda waved him off at the shop, as he headed for Washington D.C. to assist Gerard with an embezzlement case. Helene Shelby, the artist who had taken over her old apartment stopped by to see if she needed any coffee. 
Brenda invited her into the back store workroom, and asked her what she thought about the odd display for Thanksgiving. Helene listened very carefully while Brenda described the child mannequin sitting on the Indian's lap as the Pilgrim mother stood with a ladle, and filled their bowls with vegetables. The props were poised and ready for action.
A Fake turkey would be standing somewhere in the vicinity very much alive. Helene eagerly helped her to set up part of the display, so Brenda eagerly treated her to lunch next door. When people walked by, they would be in for a surprise. The "Traditonal" Turkey platter would hold cans of Loma Linda meat alternatives stacked up like a pyramid. No dead Turkey. "Presenting Fake Meat from the animal lover, and part time 7 day Adventist lady" Brenda thought to herself.
Life was good in Riverdale Park. Mr. Griffin was busy planning a trip overseas with his young companion, Webster. He would be back in plenty of time for a lavish Christmas, and another possible photo shoot in the society page. Brenda often wondered why he lived near Riverdale Park, and not Georgetown, which he could certainly afford.  And she could do the same, so she basically answered her own question. There was something special about the town. 
With Autumn leaves falling around her feet, she walked home thinking about the Blundons, and debated whether she should pursue a couple of the descendants, and relatives. Uncharacteristically, Miss Brenda Grayson was apprehensive about approaching them, because she wasn't "quite certain exactly" what she "needed" to know. 
She sent her mother a telepathic message as she passed the Wilson house. "I need your help, Mother." When she opened the front door to her special home, she heard her mother say "The Blundons will tell you what you need to know at the seance, dear one."
C J Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
Added on December 4, 2013
Last Updated on December 4, 2013
Tags: window display, spirituality

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina