Henry

Henry

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Daniel's son is born.

"
 For the next few months Brenda set up a reliable routine for herself, the house, and her shop. She and Daniel met in private places, and headed out for a bit of night sex in his car. If they got lucky, Caitlin would go to Washington D.C, with grandma Maureen, and spend the night at a hotel on occasion.

They'd shop for baby things, and return the following day,  just in time for dinner at the tiny house. On a bad night, Maureen  slept on the living room couch, and Caitlin would insist that Daniel pick up cold cuts, potato salad, and sodas. During the time that granny, Caitlin, and "unborn" were at their hotel, Daniel spent the night at Brenda's. It was somewhat risky, but Daniel didn't care. 

He missed the house, Brenda's strange insights, her cooking, and her loving ways. Brenda didn't want to see Caitlin's big belly, or hear about the specter of childbirth looming on the horizon. The baby was due in late August. Daniel was looking forward to holding his baby because parts of his parents would be present. 

Brenda assured him that they knew about the baby, and were happy for him. He hoped she was right about that, but didn't have her convictions. At least not yet.

On July 27 1951, Daniel called Brenda at the house from  Riverdale Hospital, and announced that Caitlin had gone into labor. She was cussing him out during the drive to the emergency room, and he was happy when the nurses whisked her away. 

He promised to update "Miss Grayson" as soon as the baby arrived. It was considered premature, but may possibly need an incubator for only a short time. Brenda felt a pang of envy, not because she craved motherhood, but because she couldn't be there to see Daniel hold his little baby.

Baby boy Henry Daniel Alexander arrived at 10 PM in a very healthy state, but was going to be placed in an incubator. His weight was 4 pounds 10 ounces. Daniel had joked to Brenda that he hoped juniors first pee-pee wasn't colored like whiskey. 

Daniel walked down the hall to see Caitlin, and his baby for a few minutes of bonding. The little boy was cute, and had black hair, with blue eyes. Daniel fell in love with him. For an instant, he became his own father holding HIM for the first time. Now Daniel was holding parts of his father. He also understood why men go crazy when someone takes their children away.


The doctor told Daniel he could come back for visiting hours, but that mother and baby were fine for the moment. Daniel kissed a very drowsy Caitlin on the forehead, and left. He headed straight for his room at the Blundon house. When he let himself in through the back door, Brenda was on the couch covered with an afghan blanket. 

He carried her upstairs to her room, and they fell asleep side by side. In the morning, he would have breakfast with her, drop her at her shop, just like old times, stop at the hospital to see Henry, check on Caitlin, and then report to work. 

Brenda had a display window to dismantle, things to bake, people to call, a man to miss, Spirits to contact, and thunderstorms for companionship. Sometimes life wasn't very exciting, even when it was supposed to be.

C J. Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
Added on December 12, 2013
Last Updated on December 12, 2013
Tags: baby, nerves

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina