Welcome To Crete Chapter 16

Welcome To Crete Chapter 16

A Chapter by Repgreece
"

Fay and Adam go for lunch

"

Fay and Adam left the apartment and drove to the centre of town, where they chose a taverna next to the lake and sat down at a table near to the water.


“Would you like some wine?” Adam asked.


“I probably shouldn’t,” she replied.


Adam turned to the waiter. “White wine please. Is white okay for you Fay?”


She laughed. “Yes that’s fine.”


“Can you give us a few more minutes to look at the menu?” he asked the waiter. The waiter nodded and wandered away.


“Can I make a suggestion?” Fay said hesitantly.


He looked up in surprise. “Go ahead.”


“Have you ever had meze?”


“No actually I haven’t but I’ve heard a lot of people mention it.”


“Want to try?”


He tilted his head and looked across at her with interest. “Life is one big, new adventure with you Fay. You’re full of surprises.”


She rolled her eyes. “It’s just a meze Adam, don’t get too excited.”


He gave her a cheeky look. “Can’t help it Fay, you seem to have that effect on me.”


“Hmm, anyway…I’ll order the food then,” she said, changing the subject and looking at the menu.


He grinned. “And a woman who takes the lead.”


Her eyes flicked up at him and then back at the menu. “So we can have tzatziki…”


“Mind you, you can lead me anywhere with those legs!”


“And fava…” she continued as she felt a blush creep into her cheeks.


He laughed and leant forward. “You know you’re so sexy when you blush.”


“And…” she gave up, “oh whatever, I’ll order when the waiter comes back,” she finished, closing the menu on the table. “Have you quite finished?”


“Oh I could go on all afternoon.” He still had a huge grin on his face.


She paused. “So… about these trips…”


He laughed and sat back in his chair. “Come on then, list them out to me.”


“Well, I guess I don’t know every trip and we can add more to the list as we go along.”

 


“Sure, so…”


“Okay, knossos…”


A look of recognition flashed over his face. “Ah, the palace that’s almost prehistoric.”


She chuckled. “Not quite but yes, that one. There is also a huge museum in Heraklion, not far from Knossos, which displays many of the artefacts found there.”

 

He nodded.


“Then there are other archaeological sites at Gornia and Malia.” She searched her mind, trying to picture the different areas of eastern Crete and what trips they offered.
“There is also a lovely trip to Crissi Island, the boats go from Irapetra. The island is the furthest point south in Europe and there is a nice beach. Plus there is the added bonus of a possible sighting of dolphins on the way.” He looked interested. “Then if you go to the very east of Crete there is Vai beach. It has some rare palm trees and it was used to film the bounty advert.” She shrugged.


“You don’t sound too impressed with that trip,” he observed.


“Well, it’s okay but it is a very long drive and it’s just a beach in the end.”


“Is there anything along the way that we can couple it with?”


“Not really, the nearest town is Sitia but there’s not a lot there, it’s quite industrial to be honest. Oh…” She looked up suddenly. “I forgot, there is one thing there.”


She had his attention. “Yeah?”


“Yep, it may be enough to attract some interest.”


“Go on.”


“Then again, maybe not.”


“Fay Thompson, will you spit it out!”


She ummed and ahhed, teasing him by withholding the information and making him wait.


“Well…”


“What?”


“Urm…”


“Fay?”


She paused and then finally got it out. “It’s Nikos.”


“Nikos?” he frowned, none the wiser.


She laughed out loud and picked up the menu, half hiding behind it. “Yes, Nikos the pelican.”


He smirked and reached over to snatch the menu off her. “You wouldn’t be teasing me now would you madam?”


She struggled to hold back a laugh and shook her head innocently. “No.” He narrowed his eyes at her. “He’s quite an interesting character…for a pelican.”


“Right, that’s it!” He stood up, reached over and dug his fingers into her ribs, tickling her. She yelped and wriggled to get away from him.


“Okay, okay stop!”


He beamed at her. “No more talk of pelicans?”


“No more pelicans,” she assured him, picking up her wine glass and grinning at him over the rim.

The waiter brought their food then and laid out a variety of different small dishes around the table.


“So this must be a bit like tapas then?”


“Yes, the idea behind it is to eat something small with every drink you have. For a proper meze the Greeks usually drink raki and mezes can often last for hours. It’s a very sociable way of eating and people usually stop and join in if they pass by.”


“Shouldn’t we be drinking raki then?”


She pulled a face. “Can’t stand it, it’s lethal!”


“You seemed to manage with the Sambuca last night.”


“Hmm, I don’t know if you can call that managing. Think I’ll just stick to a glass of wine.”

He grinned, remembering the fun they’d had the previous night in the bar. They helped themselves to the food and began eating.


“You know there must be just as many trips on the other side of the island too. I don’t know how big you want this to get.” she said. His eyebrow shot up and she looked at him with miscomprehension.


He cleared his throat. “Well, it’s something to think about once we have sorted out this side.”


“Yes, that’s what I thought. I know some places over there. Hania is beautiful.”


“I went there once on a day trip. It was a nice place but way too far to travel just for the day,” he pointed out.


“Gosh yes, you’d have to be staying in the area to explore it properly.”


“Hmm.” He watched her pop an olive into her mouth with a thoughtful expression. “If you don’t know that side very well we would have to spend some time exploring it ourselves.”

 

A smile was tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Oh what’s he up to now?

“Right, I guess.” She looked at him suspiciously.


“Of course I couldn’t drive all the way back on the same day,” he added.

I knew that was coming!

“No?”


“No, I’d be worn out. You wouldn’t want me worn out, would you Fay?”

 

 She couldn’t help but think there was an innuendo somewhere in that comment.


“Heaven forbid.”


“No thought not, so I’d have to book a hotel.”

I’ll get her into bed if it kills me!

“I tell you what, I’ll save you the extra expense, I’ll drive back,” she said as she popped another olive into her mouth with a smile. He laughed.

This may prove to be trickier than I’d thought.

“Hello you two. You’re just who I wanted to see actually Fay.” Ruth looked flustered as she rushed across the road towards their table.


“Hi Ruth, what’s the big emergency?”


“No emergency, I’m just in a bit of a rush. They’ve roped me into organizing the local pool competition and I’m trying to get a team together, as well as sorting out food and everything else for tonight. Don’t tell me you are busy tonight or you’ll be in big trouble! You’re coming; I need you on our team. We’re playing against two teams in Elounda and ‘Charlie’s Bar’ so I don’t intend us to lose.”


Fay grimaced. “Charlie’s, how on earth did you get them involved? Hell Ruth, we definitely have to win if they’re playing.”


“Precisely, so I’ll see you around eight then Fay.”


“Guess I’ll have to.”


“Be there!” she said, pointing a firm finger at her. “You too Adam, we need all the support we can get. I’m aiming for at least double the number of supporters than ‘Charlie’s’.”


“Oh, so it’s just a friendly competition then,” Adam added sarcastically.


“Of course,” Ruth replied shrugging, picking up her shopping bags and dashing off.

“Don’t tell me, ‘The wheelhouse’ and ‘Charlie’s’ are arch enemies,” Adam guessed.


“Of course, always have been, ever since the owner managed to lure Bill in there with a plate of sausage rolls and he stayed in there all afternoon.”

 

Adam winced.

 

 “Yep, there was hell to pay when Ruth found out I can tell you!”


“You’re all nuts!” Adam said, laughing. “The owner isn’t that guy who came into the bar last night is it?”


Fay shook her head. “No, you wouldn’t catch those two bars socialising.”


“So you any good at pool then Fay?” Adam asked, changing the subject.


She hesitated. “Well, I played a long time ago. Not sure I can even really remember the rules to be honest. You?”


“I’m not too bad, I’ll give ‘Charlie’s’ a run for their money anyway.”


“Ooh, so modest.”

A waiter walked past then and Adam asked him for the bill. Fay went into her bag for some money.


“No, I’m getting this. Put your money away.”


“Adam I don’t expect you to pay for me.”


“Hey I invited you.”


“I can pay my way,” she said handing him the money.


“I hope you’re not going to be troublesome about this, besides it was a business lunch.”
She laughed. “We haven’t really talked any business!”


“Of course we have, I now know all about the trips and Nikos the pelican.”

She gave him a resigned look and put the money back in her bag. They stood up to leave and he threw his arm over her shoulder as they headed for the car.


“Adam,” she began.


“Yes.”


“You know Nikos.”


“Hmm.”


“You do believe he’s real don’t you?”


He looked down at her and shook his head. “Fay, you’re talking pelicans again,” he warned, going for her ribs.


She dodged out of his way just in time, laughing. “You brought it up again!”



© 2011 Repgreece


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Fay was smart to not ooka hoptel with adam,knowing his intentions. LOl, Nikos the pelican. :P

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

550 Views
1 Review
Added on May 24, 2011
Last Updated on May 24, 2011

Welcome To Crete