Welcome To Crete Chapter 58

Welcome To Crete Chapter 58

A Chapter by Repgreece
"

Adam has a revelation

"

By the time Nick returned to the bar the football match had already begun and Adam shook his head at him as he sat back on the bar stool and gestured for Ruth to pass him the beer that she had put in the fridge for him earlier.

"Sal said she wants to do the work but we will have to figure out the rest later," Nick explained.

"So what were you doing all this time then?" Adam asked, glancing at his watch.

"You know women," Nick sighed, "natter, natter, natter they never stop!"

Adam nodded and turned his attention back to the screen but his thoughts suddenly jumped to Fay and his concentration lapsed. Over the last two weeks he had begun to wonder if maybe he had been too rash in putting so much faith in a relationship with someone he had only met just over three weeks ago. Certainly, when they had been together he had felt on top of the world but that was only due to the dizzying excitement that comes with a new relationship. After all, he had spent the last few years with Julia, of course he would have been thrilled to spend time with anyone else but her! But now he had settled into a routine and he didn't need to rely on Fay, for company or for help at work. Okay, he was certain that once the season began he would need her back at work but he concluded that if he could get through the last two weeks without her company, he could continue to keep their relationship platonic. He had contacted her less and less, particularly over the last week, and that suited him fine. Who needed such complications? He smiled to himself and settled down to enjoy his beer and the second half of the football match with Nick.

After the game finished Nick and Adam drank another beer together until Nick's phone rang and Jen asked him if he was going to her apartment that evening. Nick hadn't expected a call from her and he was surprised that she had contacted him at all after the huge argument they had had a few days ago. He arranged to see her and then left Adam, making him promise to meet in the bar the following week for a boy's night out. Adam contemplated ordering another drink after Nick had gone but he eventually decided against it and paid Ruth, leaving the bar to walk home along the sea front.

It was a perfect evening and the sun was just setting, leaving some warmth in the air but also throwing an orange glow across the sky. As he strolled back home he felt suddenly light hearted and he jumped onto the sand of the deserted beach beside him, looking up at the view. He stopped dead in his tracks at what he saw. The colour of the sky had changed in the minutes since he had last noticed it but it was the mountains in the distance that his eyes were drawn to. He let his gaze roam over the crags, ridges and peaks which reached out into the sky before him in the most breathtaking shades of pink. His whole being suddenly reached out for Fay and the feeling that flooded his body then was so fierce in its intensity that he found it difficult to breathe. He sat down on the sand and pulled out his mobile phone, dialling her number with shaking hands.

Come on Fay. Come on babe answer please! Just answer the phone sweetheart, I need to hear your voice!

As the phone continued to ring out his spirits dropped slightly so he hung up and simply sat gazing at the view, somehow feeling closer to her just by looking at it. He had been through two weeks now, leaving only a week until she returned and that thought comforted him. No matter how determined he had been to push her out of his mind he now realised with startling clarity that he wanted her desperately. Alright so he was being weak but he just wanted to end the awful hollowness he had felt since she left. To hell with routines and platonic relationships, he wanted Fay and god knows he couldn't be platonic with her if his life depended on it! Who had he been kidding? He laughed to himself at the irony of the conversation he had had in his head less than an hour ago. Then his heart almost stopped as the phone began to ring in his hand. He looked down and he could barely suppress his excitement at seeing her name flash across the screen. He had only spoken to her twice in the last two weeks but the last time then suddenly seemed like a lifetime ago.

"Fay! Fay, I'm so glad that you phoned back babe," he said in a rush, clasping onto the phone with both hands.

"Adam, I've gone to phone you a million times but I wasn't sure that you wanted me to," she replied with uncertainty.

"Oh god I'm sorry babe, I've been such a fool. I've been trying to convince myself that I didn't want you any more but I do Fay, I do so much that it hurts," he growled in torment.

"God Adam I wish that I could be with you now," she sighed, closing her eyes and pretending that he was there next to her.

"I'd do anything for you to be here. Sweetheart you won't believe what I'm looking at this very moment," he smiled.

"What?" she asked.

"Those pink mountains of yours, and I thought that you were making it up," he teased.

She laughed as tears began to fall down her face after which there followed a silence whilst she tried desperately to pull herself together.

"Fay?" Adam listened into the phone but heard nothing. "Fay, are you still there?"

"Hmm," she replied, afraid to give away her inner turmoil.

"What's wrong," he said, immediately picking up on her change of mood.

She took in some calming breaths and spoke again into the phone. "Sorry, I think the phone went quiet for a bit."

"No it didn't," he contradicted her, "you went quiet for a bit, why?"

"I just miss you," she said truthfully, "and I just want to be back there."

"I meant it when I said I'd come to you if you need me Fay," he reminded her.

"Thanks," she smiled, "but you know I may be back sooner than you think, maybe in a few days if I possibly can."

Adam's face lit up. "You have no idea how much I can't wait to see you again!"

"Me too. Adam," she began tentatively, "it's all going to be okay isn't it?"

"Yes, it's all going to be okay," he said aching to hold her then. "And if I was only with you now I'd show you just how okay it's all going to be."

She took strength from his words and dried her eyes.

"I guess I should let you go now or you'll run out of credit," she said reluctantly. "Shall I phone you tomorrow?"

"I won't be able to wait to hear your voice again." He laughed suddenly. "Bloody hell, listen to me! I'm like a bloody love sick school kid!"

She giggled. "I'll let you share my sherbet colas."

"Wow, that must be love! Say goodbye to your mountains," he said, holding his phone in the air.

"Bye mountains," she called. "And bye you, I haven't had you out of my mind for one second," she admitted timidly.

"That means everything to me. Bye sweetheart," he said longingly.

After hanging up the phone he sat for some time on the sand until the sun had set and the beach was in darkness. He thought about the phone call and about how she had seemed upset about something. Whatever it was that she had gone back to London for it was causing her pain and his heart went out to her.

He got out his phone again and typed out a message.

I love you Fay.



© 2011 Repgreece


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow they really are love sick and you portrayed it perfectly. can't wait to see them tpgether again. ^^

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

588 Views
1 Review
Added on June 9, 2011
Last Updated on June 9, 2011

Welcome To Crete