Part 2, Chapter 1

Part 2, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Let’s start ove

"

Part 2


Ch 1 


Xun rubbed at her eyes and tried to stretch, but her arms banged against a wall of some sort. Waking up more fully Xun realized she was in a closet. Pushing the door open she emerged into the bedroom of one of the unused guest courtyards. She wondered why she had fallen asleep in such an odd place. She shrugged, she must have been slacking off work again. With a deep sigh she stretched one more time and headed back to the Emperor’s kitchen to see what her mother wanted her to do next.


“You lazy girl!” Her mother scolded when she slunk in. “It’s a good thing we have more helpers coming today, otherwise the Emperor’s household would starve waiting for you!”


Xun grinned, if her mother was fussing this much it meant she was in a good mood. “I’m sorry, mother,” she said penitently. “I promise to work hard and be a good example for the new workers!”


Her mother swatted her with a dishcloth, “Off with you, scamp!”


“Mistress Lai, these are your new kitchen staff,” said the imperious voice of the Emperor’s Steward. “Zao Shen says you have been asking for helpers.”


Xun turned to look. The girl was about her age with sharp features and large, golden eyes that angled upwards at the corners, making even her demure expression seem slightly mischievous. A dimple danced in her cheek as she fought to suppress a smile and Xun knew at once they would get along. The man on the other hand was the most beautiful person Xun had ever seen. His skin was as fair as the finest porcelain, so clear it almost glowed. His high nose and broad forehead were well formed and he had puppy eyes that gave him an innocent look. Xun frowned. It wasn’t just their shape that gave them an innocent look, Xun realized. The man’s eyes were as blank as a newborn’s and his mouth, though soft and nicely shaped was also slightly slack. Xun also noticed a complete lack of power… a mortal’s aura.


“A mortal!” she exclaimed without thinking.


The Steward glared at her. “Yes. He is being punished by the Emperor for impertinence. Be careful the same doesn’t happen to you!”


Xun shifted to stand further behind her mother.


“Mistress Lai I will leave them to you,” the Steward said with a haughty sniff. He pushed the mortal’s shoulder, “Go on, you work here now.” 


The mortal gave a messy bow and shambled down the stairs followed by the girl.


“I’m Xiaomin,” the girl said, bowing to Xun’s mother who nodded back.


The man just stood silently, looking down at his feet. 


“What is your name?” 


No response. 


Xun’s mother looked at Xiaomin, who shrugged, “No one ever said, Mistress Lai.”

Xun’s mother shrugged. “We’ll just call him Leng Zai for now,” she waved her hand in front of the man’s face. “You’re called Leng Zai, understand?”


The man nodded, a pathetically happy smile on his face. He pointed to his chest, “L-l-l...” his face clouded.


“It’s ok,” Xun’s mother said. “Go with Shunmo for now. He’ll help you find something to do.”


One of the boys who had been bringing in firewood darted over. “Yes, Mistress Lai!” He took the man by the hand, “Come on Leng Zai, I’ll show you where to start.”


Xun’s mother clapped her hands, “Alright, enough excitement for the day, back to work!” And at her words the usual clamber of a busy kitchen started up again.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on May 28, 2023
Last Updated on May 28, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra