Part 2, Chapter 22

Part 2, Chapter 22

A Chapter by Lyra
"

In the Enperor’s garden

"

Ch 22


Shun was to thank for the map of hiding places in the garden. She had delivered various medicines to the Emperor’s palace before the Empress had moved to her own accommodations and the Emperor had locked everyone out, so knew the garden fairly well. Xiaomin had told them about the guard routines. Her youngest brother was a guard in the palace and had been known to sneak off to see his sister for a chat. Based on his information Xiaomin had been able to give them a good idea of how the guards patrolled the inner courtyards. The three girls had sat down the evening before and worked out the best route to the Emperor’s chambers.


Now Xun and Leng Zai were crouched in the last of the hiding places before they reached their final goal. Waiting for the last set of guards to pass Xun could hear her heartbeat pounding in her ears. If they were caught… well, if they were caught death would be the nicest thing waiting for them.


“Now,” Leng Zai whispered to her and the two of them slunk along the outer edge of the open area that opened into the Emperor’s private chamber. 


Only to find that he was still awake! The Emperor sat at his desk, the light from his lamp concealed by the towering stacks of documents piled around him. The Emperor himself was reading a memoir and growling slightly to himself. 


Xun and Leng Zai circled the courtyard as stealthily as they could. The Emperor sat in profile to the garden entrance and in the dim light Xun could make out a red stone pendant dangling from his waist. The object looked innocuous to the naked eye, but as soon as Leng Zai saw it he gave a sharp intake of breath and clutched at Xun’s hand.


The Emperor’s head shot up.


“Who’s there?” He demanded of the darkness.


Xun and Leng Zai froze trying to blend in with the dappled shadows cast by a tree in the corner of the yard. 


The Emperor peered suspiciously into the garden, but after a moment he rubbed the back of his neck and went back to his document.


Xun and Leng Zai crept back to their last hiding place. 


“We have to try again another night,” Xun said. “There’s no way we can get it off him when he’s awake. I can’t fight and I’m pretty sure you don’t know how to either.”


Leng Zai looked like he wanted to protest, but he couldn’t remember if he know how to fight either. So he nodded and the two of them retraced their steps out of the garden. They waited in a grotto for the guards to pass, so close to escape that they could see the little side door they had used to sneak in. Xun crouched behind a large flowering bush next to a small gently bubbling waterfall. Leng Zai was pressed close behind her. Xun elbowed him in the ribs and he huffed softly.


“We are trying to stay quiet,” he whispered in her ear. 


Xun glared at him. “There is plenty of space here, back up!”


Leng Zai grinned at her but didn’t move. Xun decided to ignore him and turned back to the path where two guards were chatting. They should have been moving on so that Xun and Leng Zai could slip between them, but instead they were discussing the first guard’s unfaithful girlfriend. Xun could have screamed.


“Well, that’s just how it goes with those dandelion fairies,” the second guard said, clapping his friend on the shoulder. “Easy come and easy go. My sister has a friend she can introduce you when you’re ready.”


“Thanks, Ping,” the first guard said with a loud sniff. “We should get back to work, the Emperor’s palace won’t guard itself.”


Ping nodded and the two soldiers marched off in opposite directions. 


“Finally,” Xun sighed. 


Leng Zai was already pushing past her as the two scurried towards the door, but as soon as he had stepped out onto the path, he turned and pressed her against the rock.


“Play along,” he whispered roughly before crushing her lips with his own. Leng Zai was rough and persistent, but his eyes were open and he was clearly not really paying attention to her. Xun was about to start struggling when she heard the footsteps.


“Hey, Ping, about that girl! Hey!”


Leng Zai lifted his head and thrust Xun behind him.


“How did you get here?” The guard said, starting to draw his sword.


“Stop,” Ping said as he came trotting back. “I know him, that’s Leng Zai the kitchen boy. Hey, Leng Zai, remember me? I helped you get back when you were lost here before. I heard you got your wits back a while ago and I haven’t seen you since.”


“I… I don’t remember much from then…” Leng Zai admitted. “But I do have my wits back.”


Ping gave a low whistle. “So it seems! What are you doing back here then?”


Xun decided that this was her cue. She peeked her head around Leng Zai. “Leng Zai, does this mean we aren’t going to be able to see the Emperor’s fire fountain? But you proooomised!” She made the last sentence and whiny and vapid as she could make it. 


Leng Zai blushed.


Ping laughed, “It’s not just your wits you got back is it, Leng Zai,” he said laughing. “And what’s your name?”


Xun thought fast. “Sosha,” she said, with her brightest, silliest smile. “I’m a dandelion fairy.”


The first guard grimaced. “You better be careful, Leng Zai or whatever your name is,” he said darkly,


Ping nudged the other guard. “Don’t mind him,” he said, “but I can’t let you stay here Leng Zai. Let me take you out.”


Xun made sure to whinge a bit as they were escorted back to the gate and Leng Zai shot her dirty looks the entire way. 



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on June 17, 2023
Last Updated on June 17, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, adventure, romance

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra