Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Part 4, Chapter 35

Part 4, Chapter 35

A Chapter by Lyra
"

The arrival of the desert tribesmen

"

Ch 35


Jingyi and the Fire Lord returned two days later. Shun brushed out Beibei’s hair and dressed her in her best finery before sitting down with her to read quietly while they waited for the official meeting.


“Fancy,” Chenyuan said. “Mommy, why I not fancy for Daddy?”


Xun kissed her daughter on the top of her head and shamelessly passed the blame. “I don’t know, baby. You should ask Auntie Renping.”


Renping glared at her from across the room where she was scrubbing honey from Chenhe’s hair. “You try keeping the little monsters clean and we’ll see how far you get.”


Chenhe stuck out his tongue, Xun gave him a sharp look, and he put it away.


Taiwu opened the door and motioned for the occupants to follow him. Xun stood and allowed Jianyu to tuck her hand into the crook of his elbow. Shun took Beibei’s hand, both for reassurance and to make sure the shy little girl didn’t bolt. 


Behind them Xun heard Renping say, “We’ll meet you after everything is settled.”


“I want see Jingyi!” Chenhe and Chenyuan yelled together.


Renping poured water over Chenhe’s head, causing him to splutter. “Then you should have kept clean while we were waiting. Jingyi will come see us when business is over.”


Xun’s heart felt lighter as she listened to their familiar antics and Jianyu patted her hand.


Jingyi entered the room dressed in the flamboyant robes of the Master of the Desert Tribes, his long braids now even more intricate to show his increase in standing. Following after him, dressed in a much more subdued manner was the Fire Lord.


“Surprise…” Jingyi said with an awkward smile. 


The others stared at him. 


Beibei started to cry and Jingyi quickly knelt by her side to reassure her. After her sobs slowed to a single huge tear that rolled down her face and landed on the floor with a surprisingly final splat Jingyi was able to lead her to the Fire Lord, who bowed gravely to her.


“Greetings, Lady,” he said formally.


Beibei bowed, “Lord,” she said in a surprisingly clear voice. Then she looked down and began digging her toe into the floor.


Shun, unable to stand the awkwardness any more and wanting to comfort her charge came to stand beside Beibei. “Beibei, this is your grandpa, the Fire Lord,” she said in a soft even voice. “He’s going to teach you to control your magic better.”


Beibei looked at her, “No more wolf fires?”


Shun laughed, “No more setting the wolf puppies on fire. By accident at least.”


Beibei grinned at her and then looked at her grandfather. “Teacher? Learn now?” She asked him.


The Fire Lord’s face curled up in a disjointed smile, as if the expression had been lost for so long it hadn’t worked all the kinks out yet. “As soon as Teacher finishes helping Jingyi. Then we can go.”


Beibei thought hard about this for a moment, her shyness seemingly forgotten. “Ok. Shun and me go outside. Jingyi and Xun work boring.”


“I agree,” the Fire Lord said seriously, making Beibei giggle.


“Should we get started?” Jingyi asked, sensing the drama had run its course for the moment.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on September 20, 2023
Last Updated on September 20, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, adventure, romance, light novel

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra