Part 4, Chapter 15

Part 4, Chapter 15

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Finding home

"

Ch 15


Renping made breakfast from the few non ruined food supplies in their packs while Xun fed the babies. 


“We’ve been traveling, looking for a place to settle down in the mortal realm. I…need some time to think about my situation,” Xun explained. “Renping is keeping me company.”


Taiwu (太武 - extreme/martial), the Heavenly Soldier looked as if he wanted to say more, but Jingyi (静怡 - quiet/harmony) stopped him. 


“Why are you here?” Renping asked smiling. Xun hoped she was the only one who could see that Renping’s smile was a little too bright to be real.


Jingyi answered, “We are running from the war in the Heavenly Realm. The Red Desert Tribes are making a play for more land and the Heavenly Army is in trouble.”


“If you say it like that it makes me sound like a coward for being here instead of fighting,” Taiwu grumbled.


Jingyi touched his hand, “You were trapped behind enemy lines, you didn’t run,” he reassured. 


Xun broke in, “The Emperor hasn’t put down the rebellion yet? He was driving the Merfolk back into the Western Sea when I left. It shouldn’t have taken him long to finish them and deal with the Red Desert Tribes.”


“Something happened to the Emperor on the shore of the Western Sea,” Taiwu said. “We didn’t hear any details, but the God of War and his generals were the only leaders on the Eastern front.”


Renping looked worriedly at Xun, “Should we go back?”


Xun’s internal debate was clear to see on her face, but eventually she shook her head. “No, if something happened to Leng Zai his mother would be desperate to…” she stopped talking as Jingyi and Taiwu began to pay closer attention to her words. “No,” Xun said again. “We need to stay away from all that.”


“The Mortal Realms aren’t exactly safe,” Jingyi said. “With the turmoil in the Heavenly Realm there have been more natural disasters and upsets of power here in the Mortal Realms as well. You might be safer going back.”


“No,” Xun said with more force. “I won’t go back. I won’t be pushed into something I’m not ready for.”


“Of course not,” Renping confirmed. “This place seems relatively remote so the power struggles of the empires shouldn’t touch us here, and with our skills we should be able to keep most natural disasters at bay.”


Xun smiled at her friend, “Thank you, Renping. I know staying with me can’t be easy.”


Renping shrugged and changed the subject, “Why are you two here instead of at the battlefield?”


Jingyi shrugged and looked uncomfortable so Taiwu spoke. “Jingyi didn’t approve of what the tribes are trying to do. After he rescued me from the battlefield we escaped.” 


His tone was both defensive and challenging, so Renping didn’t push him. Xun, picking up on her desire to change the subject again asked, “Who else is living here? I saw people moving around lower in the valley. Do you live among the mortals?”


Jingyi shook his head, “Living among the mortals was troublesome. The people here are like us, from the Heavenly Realm. Most are refugees from the war, but there are a few here for other reasons. I’ve bonded the land around here to me so the village and the people are invisible to the few mortals who live in the region and to any immortals that are looking for it. Which brings me back to the question of how you were able to find this place.”


“I don’t know,” Xun said slowly. “We found the hut, but last night I would have sworn there were no other people in the area.”


Renping chimed in, “We didn’t know there were other people until we heard you moving around in the house this morning. I was sleeping heavily, but I set wards and I should have known when you arrived.”


Jingyi nodded, “That’s good at least, we should still be safe,” he said, directing his words at Taiwu, who looked relieved.


Xun cleared her throat a little awkwardly, “Jingyi, Taiwu, if this house isn’t already taken can we stay?” 


Renping wanted to say more, she wanted to tell them how hard it had been to travel with the twins. That constantly moving to keep people from noticing their slow growth rate was wearing them down. She wanted to pour out her fear and frustration, but instead she bit her tongue and waited for an answer. 


Jingyi smiled broadly and openly, “Anyone desperate enough to find this place must need the refuge. You are welcome here.”



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on August 31, 2023
Last Updated on August 31, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, adventure, romance, light novel

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra