Part 2, Chapter 23

Part 2, Chapter 23

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Making plans

"

Ch 23


“We’ll have to follow him to the battlefield,” Xun said. She and her friends were taking their midday break in the overgrown courtyard of the abandoned guest palace. It still struck Xun as odd that a large palace in such a prime condition had been left empty when there were gods fighting for a place near the Emperor. 


Xiaomin frowned. “I don’t like it.”


Leng Zai scowled at her, “No one likes it,” he replied. He looked at Xun. “You should stay here, this is my problem anyway.”


Xun shook her head. “Leng Zai, you are as distractible as a butterfly. There is no way I can leave you by yourself.”


Shun spoke up, “I agree, Leng Zai we all know your temperament. You would follow the first shepherd you saw because his lambs were fluffy and you wanted to pet them. But I think Xiaomin should go with you as well. She knows how to fight and could be helpful if you get drawn into a situation.”


Xun immediately shook her head, “We won’t be anywhere near the fighting. Mother got the order from the Emperor, he’s bringing her and whatever staff she needs to cook for him. Leng Zai and I will go with her. We’ll be safe in camp during the battles. Xiaomin needs to stay here with you. I heard about that incident with the blacksmith’s apprentice.”


Shun tried to hide her bruised wrist in her sleeve. “I’ll be fine as long as I stay near my master.”


“No, Shun, Xiaomin stays with you,” Leng Zai said flatly. “Maybe Madam Lai can arrange for her to be placed in the Hall of Medicine while we are away.”


Xun nodded. “I’ll ask her!”


Shun looked away, unwilling to be part of a confrontation. Xiaomin placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. “I’ll stay with Shun, but someone else should go with you. In case you get in trouble. What about taking Renping?”


Shun looked back, a hopeful glint in her eye. “That would be good. You two always come up with wild schemes. You need a calmer head with you.”


“I am not wild,” Xun said. “I think everything through first,”


The other three looked at her. Xun blushed. 


“You invited the Sea Witch into the palace for a secret magical rite.”


“You snuck into the Emperor’s palace in the middle of the night.”


“You attacked the Dowager Empress’s favorite pet.”


“Yes, but I thought everything out first… well except for that last one,”


Shun sighed. “I’ll ask Renping if she’ll go with you.”



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on June 18, 2023
Last Updated on June 18, 2023

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra