Part 2, Chapter 27

Part 2, Chapter 27

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Renping and Leng Zai

"

Ch 27


Renping watched as Leng Zai laughed with one of the Emperor’s body servants while they waited for the supply train to be given the order to move. When Xiaomin had brought him back to the kitchen a few days ago he had looked shattered, as if with Xun gone nothing could ever put his world back together. Yet as soon as his usual flock of kitchen admirers came to flutter around him he had seemed as  happy and content as if Xun had never existed. 


It was weird.

 

Leng Zai nodded easily at something the other man said. The other man shook his head and walked off, Leng Zai tipped his face upward and closed his eyes. He was gorgeous, Renping had to admit. It was no wonder she and most of the other kitchen girls had been in love with him at first sight.


“The sun is warm today,” he said dreamily to the sky. 


Leng Zai was like a butterfly, she thought. Pretty to look at, but there was no real substance to him. She had been jealous of his attachment to Xun, but now she just wondered how the other girl could deal with his flightiness. 


Renping was certain that Leng Zai and Xun loved each other, but he never asked about her or seemed concerned by her absence. When Xun was mentioned he would look sad for a moment, but the emotion never lasted long. She had asked Xiaomin about it and Xiaomin had shrugged and told her that Leng Zai was just like that. Renping sighed, Shun had asked her to keep the pretty lout out of trouble and she had done her best. 


But it was still weird.


Leng Zai looked over and noticed her. “Renping!” He exclaimed with a bright smile. “Are we going soon?”


“Soon. The troops set out this morning,” unable to restrain her curiosity Renping finally asked. “Leng Zai, what do you think of Xun?” If it had been anyone else she wouldn’t have dared ask, but with Leng Zai and his odd innocence she didn’t think he would understand the question if she tried to be circumspect.


“Xun? I like Xun best,” he said, with a bright smile that lit up his entire face.


“Then why…?” She couldn’t bring herself to continue the questions. Why don’t you seem to miss her? How can you be so happy when she’s gone? Why do you never ask me or Xiaomin how she is when you know we’ve been in contact with her?


“Why what?” he asked curiously. When she didn’t answer he shrugged. “Did you want me for something?”


“Yeah,” Renping sighed and took his arm. “Alright, come on. Madam Lai was looking for you.”


Leng Zai followed her without protest, and then stopped to remove her hand from his arm. His face looked a little clouded, as if he were trying to work through a difficult puzzle. “I don’t think you should hold my arm like that. I think Xun would be upset with me.” He said, very slowly, as if he had to think his way through each word.


Renping dropped his arm. Maybe there was hope for him yet. 



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
Added on June 22, 2023
Last Updated on June 22, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra