Part 4, Chapter 37. The End

Part 4, Chapter 37. The End

A Chapter by Lyra
"

… and it ends, as all trite romances do, with a wedding. An official one this time.

"

Ch 37


The official wedding of the Emperor was a grand affair. Representatives of all the tribes filled the great hall, their finery glittering in the light of thousands of lamps. If the wedding contract given to Nuwa looked as if it had been handled for centuries and the Dowager Empress seemed slightly less than thrilled about the parentage of her new daughter-in-law it was over shadowed by the joy of Xun, Jianyu, Chenye and Chenyuan. 


After the grand event Xun insisted on a less formal gathering so she could meet her new people. The family happily maneuvered through the crowd, greeting old friends, enemies and everything in between.


“Daughter, you should be waiting your husband in your room, like a proper bride!” Madam Lai scolded as they approached.


Jianyu bowed deeply to her, “Blame me, beloved mother-in-law. It was my idea to bestow Xun as the Empress Consort at the same time as the wedding and it would be inappropriate for the Lady not to greet her new subjects.”


“Don’t think you can get around me just because you promoted me as the chief cooking god. You may be the Emperor to everyone else, but to me you are still Leng Zai who never did learn to properly clean a pot. Which was an impressive feat considering how many I set you to wash.”


Jianyu looked affronted, “I scrubbed every pot you gave me!”


Xun blushed and Madam Lai smirked at her, “Don’t think I missed he fact that you went back and covered for him every time, little scamp.”


Jianyu was nonplussed, but saved from answering by the approach of Jingyi and Taiwu, who now also sported the finery of a young Desert Lord.


The twins, who had been purporting themselves with the over weaning pomposity only found in the very young who have suddenly become aware of their importance, lost any trace of dignity as they flung themselves at the two young men.


“We missed you,” they chorused, clinging to familiar pant legs. 


“Welcome,”Jianyu said with a formal little smile.


Jingyi rolled his eyes, “We didn’t come to see you,” he said arrogantly as he swung Chenyuan into his arms and tickled her chin. “If it wasn’t for Xun our clans would still be hostile, even if we had stopped the outright war.” He winced as Chenyuan tugged a little to hard at a braid.


Taiwu, now holding Chenhe allowed the corner of his mouth to twitch up.


“Are you having a reunion without us?” Xiaomin asked as she, Shun and Renping wandered up.


“Beibei” Chenyuan squealed. “Jingyi, down!”


“I see our five minutes of fame are over,” he said laughing as the children scampered off into the loving, if frazzled arms of their nannies to play.


“Don’t feel bad,” Yu’Bo said as he passed by, “The only thing they asked us is what presents we brought.”


The group laughed.


“How was your visit with your mother?” Xun asked Renping.


Renping shrugged, “It was good to be back with her again, but my mother is a little… intense.”


Jianyu nodded in sympathy.


“I’ll need to go back, at least for a little longer,” Renping continued. “But hopefully she’ll agree to let me come and stay for a while. She just needs more reassurance that I won’t disappear again.”


“The twins and I miss you, but we understand. Its good for you to spend time with her. Is she coming to the gathering?”


Renping shook her head, “She says she will never step foot in the Palace again.”


“Have you seen Uncle Xidi?” Shun asked, blushing when Xun looked at her curiously. “We became close while he was guarding the Palace while you two were gone,” she said in reply to the look.


“He’s here,” Renping replied, smiling. “Probably over with the twins discussing increasing the number of overseas trade routes again. Yu’Bo and Yu’Luo never seem to run out of energy. The new king is doing well, apparently he and Xidi had a bit of an understanding even before the old king died. Everything is pretty calm in the Western Sea. Are there still concerns along the northeastern border? I haven’t seen the God of War yet.” At the last sentence Renping blushed ever so slightly.


Xun hid a smile. She had always suspected that Renping had developed a little crush on the God of War.


“My uncle, brother, and the remaining Red Desert tribesmen are helping to return the refugees to their homes. Jiangou didn’t think he would be welcomed here and Xai Lu doesn’t usually attend such parties.”


The conversation moved on as the friends reminisced into the evening. Just as the party was breaking up an old man and a young boy approached Xun. She didn’t recognize them as first, clean and happy. They stoped before her, bowing.


“Empress,” the old man said, “We come to give you thanks and greeting from the refugees and personal thanks for saving our lives.”


Xun’s eyes darted to Jianyu, who’s face was dark with shame and regret.


Xun hurriedly lifted the two to their feet. “Rise, thank you for your good wishes. I hope all goes well with the return of your land.”


The old man bowed to her and turned to leave, but before he vanished into the crowd he turned to Jianyu. “Emperor, I was prepared to hate you for what you did in the refugee camp, but if this lady has chosen you then there must be some good inside you. Keep her close and the people of the Eastern Reach will follow you all our days.” He bowed a final time and disappeared into the crowd, his grandson wiggling his fingers in a goodbye as he followed his grandfather. 


Jianyu held his arm out to Xun, who took it with a smile. “You heard the elder,” he said. “I have to keep you with me for the rest of my days.”


Xun’s smile became mischievous, “Sound advice, kitchen boy,” she said. “You should follow it.”


And he did.


The end.



© 2023 Lyra


Author's Note

Lyra
To the people who followed this all the way through to the end - THANK YOU! Seeing that you were reading this made my day when things were rough and got me excited about writing every day. I hope you liked it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on September 22, 2023
Last Updated on September 22, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure, light novel

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra