Part 2, Chapter 36

Part 2, Chapter 36

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Something seems different…

"

Ch 36


Xun was disheartened as they walked around the town that had grown in orderly chaos around the God of War’s mansion. Everywhere she looked there were thin, dirty faces. She knew people found themselves uprooted all the time in the mortal realms, but here it felt wrong. The Immortal Realms were almost always at peace and the tiny gods and minor immortals flourished in their small domains. Seeing them here, wounded and scared made Xun’s heart ache.


“There isn’t enough room in the town,” the God of War was saying to Leng Zai, who strode next to him with a confidence that Xun found unfamiliar. “And the soldier’s camp is already taking care of those with the worst injuries.”


“There’s open land near the river downstream of the city. It’s far enough from the army camp that the two will remain separate, but close enough that food and goods can be transported easily. Set up whatever extra tents you have and prepare food stores and a medical tent for the refugees. We can start moving them their for the time being.” 


Xun listened to the two men for a time as Leng Zai began to breakdown the details of how the camp should be set up and the supplies that would be needed for each person in the camp.


“Leng Zai seems… strange,” Renping whispered to Xun, breaking her concentration.


Xun nodded. “Something happened to him durning that fight the other day, but he won’t talk about it. And I don’t know why the God of War seems to listen to everything he says.”


“Do you think…”


“Xun, Renping,” Leng Zai’s crisp voice interrupted the girl’s conversation. “Can the two of you set up the kitchen for the refugee camp?”


“Of course,” they replied in unison.


Leng Zai dropped back to walk next to them, the God of War following suit. Leng Zai slipped his hand around Xun’s. She tried to pull away, but he twined his fingers with hers. The God of War’s mouth twitched down in what would have been a frown on a normal person and Renping looked away. Xun tugged harder on her hand, feeling the heat chase up her neck into her cheeks.


“Now that I have you again, I’m not letting go,” Leng Zai said softly into her ear. 


Xun stared at him in disbelief. Leng Zai was always light hearted about their relationship. She knew she was in love with him, denying that would have been foolish, but he had never seemed more than casual, if preferential, about her. He came to her because she watched out for him and knew him best, but she had always known he would go with anyone who asked him. This sudden possessive streak was unsettling. She stared up at him, trying to see what had changed. He gave her a slow, charming smile in return that made her heart skip. 


“So what will you need to get the kitchen at the camp set up,” he asked.


Xun was still trying to catch her breath as Renping answered.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on June 30, 2023
Last Updated on June 30, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, adventure, romance

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra