Part 2, Chapter 3

Part 2, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Everyday troubles

"

Ch 3 


Xun was peeling and slicing ginger on a stool near Xiaomin, who was scaling and deboning fish for stew. The two girls were gossiping about Shun’s latest adventures in the pharmacy and one of the other kitchen maids scoffed as she went past. Since Xiaomin and Shun had begun meeting regularly Xiaomin’s welcome in the kitchen had become cooler. Several of the other maids refused to speak with her at all and the man who had approached her aggressively saying that she just needed a real man had been dismissed with a broken nose and a black eye. Xun had asked her mother for help, but her mother hadn’t had any answers either.


“I like the girl, she’s a good worker, but I can’t empty half the kitchen because the other girls are mean to her. If things go beyond nasty comments I can step in, but,” and here her mother shrugged, “that’s about all I can promise.”


Xun had been angry, but Xiaomin told her, “It’s not as bad here as it has been other places.” Which caused Xun to wonder how bad Xiaomin’s life had been outside the kitchen.


“Xun. Xun!” Xiaomin said. 


“What?” 


“You didn’t hear a single thing I said, did you?”


Xun was saved from having to answer by a loud clattering from the other side of the kitchen. “Leng Zai! Can’t you do anything right? How do you even burn broth?”


Xun was on her feet and halfway across the kitchen before the crash had even quieted. She was between Leng Zai and the irate under chef before the man had finished yelling and he pulled the blow meant for the simpleton just before it landed on her.


“Lao Chuanli, you know Leng Zai can’t help it. Let me take him so he won’t bother you anymore.”


Lao Chuanli grumbled, “Fine, just keep that idiot away from me.”


Xun reach down and pulled Leng Zai to his feet from where he had been cowering behind her. She murmured softly trying to calm him, but he whimpered as he looked at the still furious cook glaring at him. This wasn’t the first time she had saved him, but every time she rescued him it seemed to be a new experience for him. Gently, she led him by the hand over to where she had been sitting with Xiaomin. 


“Sit here, Leng Zai. You can help me peel the garlic, ok.”


Leng Zai nodded at her and sitting on the floor at her feet began to work with shaking hands. Xun sighed and stroked his head as if he were a large dog. Leng Zai wasn’t a bad person, but he needed to be watched carefully in case he forgot what he was doing and drifted off. “It’s a good thing you’re pretty,” she said softly to him.


“Shun’s prettier,” Xiaomin said cheekily. “It’s ok, Leng Zai, I’ll help you even if you aren’t pretty.” 


“Distance should be maintained between men and women,” said Ruping from where she worked at the long table making noodles.


Xiaomin wiped her hand and walked over to tousled Leng Zai’s hair, “It’s ok, it’s only Leng Zai.” 


Xun blushed slightly and withdrew her hand. Leng Zai gave them both his sweet smile and the three of them worked in silence for a while.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on May 30, 2023
Last Updated on May 30, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra