Part 4, Chapter 24

Part 4, Chapter 24

A Chapter by Lyra
"

If it isn’t one thing it’s another

"

Ch 24

Jianyu sat in his mother’s chamber and it was as if he had never been away. Even the blue bird that had facilitated his and Xun’s meeting was sitting on its perch fastidiously preening it’s feathers and pointedly ignoring him. As his gaze traveled the gaudy room he wondered if he should sit down at all. With the outfit he was wearing he might blend into his mother’s decor and never be seen again.

“Sit,” his mother commanded and he sat. “Explain what you said in the hall. How did this Xun girl save the Heavenly Realm?”

It was only then the Jianyu realized his mother, along with the majority of the denizens of the Heavenly Realms had either no recollection or extremely confused memories of the time he had been under the King of the Merfolk’s spell. He started from the beginning, when he and Xun had been trading letters before the world had changed and continued to when he had left the Palace with the High Gods.

His mother’s face remained impassive as he told his story. As he finally finished she studied his face. “You truly love her,” she said, finally. “I wanted to argue with you, but there is no way to change your mind on this matter is there.”

“No,” he said simply. “It can only be Xun.”

His mother nodded, she still didn’t smile, but some of her rigid posture relaxed. “Fine. I will dismiss the other girls. Most of them aren’t worthy of you anyway.”

He smiled and took her hand in his, “Thank you, mother.”

“But you will have to bring her back yourself, she didn’t argue very hard when I told her she didn’t have the skills or the connections to be Empress. In fact she almost looked relieved.”

Jianyu’s expression turned grim. “Convincing her will take time, but I’ll manage it.” Eager to change the subject, now that he had his mother’s agreement, he looked around in an exaggerated way. “Where is my niece? Since Jiangou is at the army camp you must still be caring for her.”

His mother looked shifty, the first break in her icy persona that he had seen. “That Ghost Clan girl took her, I didn’t know her identity when I put her in charge of the child and you know the legends about that family.”

Jianyu knew many of the Ghost Clan well, his father had left notes about which families had sheltered survivors and which members of those families had bred true to the Ghost Clan’s abilities. While they could go unnoticed and pass through wards along with several other useful skills, they did not eat children to keep their powers, no matter what the legends said. 

“You truly don’t know where she is,” he pressed. 

“No,” she snapped. She looked as if she were going to say more, but she stopped herself. 

Jianyu knew from her expression that she wouldn’t give him any more information, even if she had it. He started to ask her about the situation with the Red Desert Tribes when a messenger rushed in. 

“How dare you!” The Dowager Empress thundered, she seemed glad for a target to vent at.

“My Emperor,” the messenger said, falling to his knees. “The Red Desert Tribes have completely encircled the camp of the Heavenly Army. If nothing is done our soldiers will be overwhelmed!”

Jianyu stood abruptly. “Find the Gods of Thunder and Lightning. Tell them to prepare for battle and bring whatever support they need. I will go now to relieve my uncle,” he instructed the messenger, who saluted and stumbled off back into the Palace. Jianyu bowed formally to his mother, “I must go, please remember your promise. By the time I return I want the harem emptied.”

His mother may have responded, but Jianyu didn’t register the words. His mind was already caught up with battle.



© 2023 Lyra


Author's Note

Lyra
Sorry for the delay today…

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on September 9, 2023
Last Updated on September 9, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, adventure, romance, light novel

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra