Part 2, Chapter 15

Part 2, Chapter 15

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Family

"

Ch 15


Jiangou watched the fireworks from the balcony at the top of his palace. Below him lanterns swayed gently as they were carried through the streets or where they hung on wires. The river was a sinuous snake of light as the wishing lanterns were washed downstream on the gentle current. From here the world looked peaceful and joyous. Jiangou turned away from the view.


Namu, round with child now was standing quietly near the door. “The city is beautiful tonight, husband.” 


“Until my uncle arrives,” Jiangou said bitterly.


Namu came to him. “You have the might of the Heavenly Realm behind you, as well as my father’s nomads and your own merfolk. Your uncle has only the troops he was using to patrol the boarder for monsters. He is no threat to you.” 


“Of course, you are right,” he kissed her forehead. 


Namu studied his face carefully, “You don’t look convinced.”


Jiangou moved away so Namu couldn’t see his face. “My uncle has been the God of War since before my father was the Emperor. He has fought Demons, birdkin, merfolk, and even rebellions among the Heavenly Soldiers. My uncle’s legend is built on snatching victories from insurmountable odds. Part of why I insisted on the spell was to avoid this exact situation.”


“That isn’t the only reason, is it?”


“I don’t want to fight my family. I was never allowed to care for my brother, I knew the day would come when we would fight. But my uncle...”


Namu moved to stand before him again, her hand covering her belly. “We are your family. Isn’t it your duty to protect us?” Namu asked coldly. “You need to bring peace to the realms so your son can live in safety.”


Jiangou’s hand drifted to lay over hers and he felt the soft movements of his child, still sleeping in her womb. “Of course,” he said. “The most important thing is our child.”



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on June 11, 2023
Last Updated on June 11, 2023
Tags: romance, adventure, fantasy, Cdrama

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra