Part 4, Chapter 22

Part 4, Chapter 22

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Hi brother, it’s been a while

"

 Ch 22


As soon as Jianyu awoke he prepared to leave the camp. He needed to see Xun.


“Jianyu,” his brother’s voice came from the opening of the tent.


“Not now,” Jianyu replied. “I need to go.”


Jiangou put a hand on his shoulder. “You need to listen to me first. It’s been almost two hundred years since you were taken by the Sea Witch.”


“What!?” Jianyu exclaimed, trying to come to terms with the time gap. It felt like he had left Xun only a few days ago. 


“Two hundred years,” Jiangou repeated. Jianyu stared at his brother, and only then did he see the deep lines of pain and sorrow on his brother’s face. “Much has changed.”


Jianyu sat, “Tell me.”


“Your wife… is gone. Her cousin’s know she’s in the mortal realms, but no one has been able to pinpoint where. She has never communicated directly with them and leaves messages at different trading posts, never the same one twice. She does trade goods with them at an outpost, but the guards are always different.”


Rage and pain filled Jianyu. How could she leave him? Why would she leave him? “Why?” He asked, it was the only word he could get out. 


“I don’t know for sure,” Jiangou replied. “I just know that shortly after she left your mother began to fill your harem with girls from powerful families. The Dowager Empress,” the title was spoken with deep bitterness, “Has been ruling in your stead with an iron hand. She has very clear ideas of how the Realm should be handled. Prince Xidi has maintained his control over the guard in the Palace and the city, but only because your mother has no other alternative.”


Jianyu’s mind raced, if his mother was in charge of the Realm the smaller gods would be suffering as the High Gods and the stronger tribes fought for power. She was short sighted and had only ever seen power as something that was obviously displayed, she had never been able to see the longer view or the subtle games played in the shadows of the court. She was also easily distracted from the larger political field…


“The God of War? How is he managing the battle with the Red Desert Tribes?”


Jiangou shook his head. “They are loosing ground. The ability of the Red Desert Tribes to absorb and blend into their landscapes gives them a vast advantage. Every time he destroys a nest they scatter and three more appear. He has been asking the Palace for reinforcements, but there aren’t any men to spare and the Dowager Empress refuses to give orders to the High Gods or the Heavenly Tribes. I’ve done what I can, but…”


Jianyu stood, “Thank you, brother. I know better than anyone how difficult my mother can be. How is your daughter? Have you brought her here with you?”


Jiangou shook his head, “Your mother was keeping her close and using her to control me. About fifty years ago her nursemaid, I think you know the girl, Shun, smuggled her out of the Place. I don’t know where she is now.”


“We’ll find her. We’ll find all the ones who have been lost,” or who have run away, he added silently. “We’ll bring everyone home.”


His brother rolled his eyes at the dramatic phrasing, but nodded and the two men strode out of the tent. 



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on September 7, 2023
Last Updated on September 7, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure, light novel

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra