Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Part 2, Chapter 45

Part 2, Chapter 45

A Chapter by Lyra
"

The war really is coming, I promise. It’s short, but it’s coming.

"

Ch 45


The next two weeks were the best of Xun’s life, despite the looming battle. She and Leng Zai were apart only when the God of War took him to review the troops. Together they organized and ran the refugee camp, plotted strategy, and enjoyed their newly wed time together. 


As Xun was beginning to become comfortable in their routine it came to an end.


Xun and Leng Zai were sitting in their courtyard, watching a fat, orange, full moon rise slowly over the courtyard wall. A half empty jug of wine sat between them in the companionable silence. Xun had almost drifted into a light slumber when the God of War entered the yard.


“Xia Lu, what brings you here?” Leng Zai drawled, his voice lazy with contentment.


Xun faked slumber so she wouldn’t need to speak.


“We found them. North, near the camp of the Heavenly Army,” the God of War replied without preamble. “I sent a message to the generals. They will be ready and we can fight tomorrow,”


Xun sat up abruptly. “Tomorrow?” She squeaked. Both men smiled at her. 


“Yes,” the God of War affirmed. 


Xun opened her mouth to let the flood of questions pour out, but Leng Zai shook his head, stopping her before she could speak.


“It’s the desert tribes. All nine?” The question was directed at Xai Lu, who nodded. Leng Zai turned to Xun and explained, “The desert tribes can travel their lands completely undetected, so we had to wait until one of their scouts broke cover so we could track them by sight. Since the Empress is the daughter of the Lord of the Red Desert it was reasonable to think she might have asked her father to support her husband in battle. Xai Lu and I were hesitant to attack the Emperor without knowing if the tribes would flank us. Waiting was no hardship, since the Emperor’s siege hasn’t been very effective.”


Xun hadn’t minded the delay, and in her heart she wished it could go on longer, but she nodded and asked, “But why would you be looking for them near the Northern Imperial Army if you thought they would be supporting the Emperor here in the south?”


“Xia Lu hasn’t heard anything from the Imperial Palace since just after the Emperor left. The King of the Merfolk went to greet the birth of his grandchild and no information has been received since then. The odds are good that the King of the Merfolk and the Lord of the Red Desert have been plotting something together. 


Xia Lu also heard a rumor that there had been an assassination attempt on the Emperor. It wasn’t successful, but since we sent no assassin the attempt must have come from his own side, most likely his mother or his wife. That’s a good indication that the Fire Lord will not be sending reinforcements to his son-in-law.”


If Leng Zai or Xai Lu noticed Xun shudder at the mention of the King of the Merfolk, neither of them said anything.


Leng Zai continued, “The King of the Merfolk can’t hold the Palace on his own, as soon as the Heavenly Army learns that he has infiltrated they will rally behind the Emperor to reclaim it. Unless they were distracted by, and possibly decimated by another force.”


“The desert tribes,” Xun said.


“Yes,” Xia Lu said. “But the Heavenly Army is warned now. And tomorrow we fight the Emperor before moving on the Palace and the Northern Army.”


Xun’s grip on Leng Zai’s hand tightened.


“I’ll be careful,” he assured her.


Xia Lu stood. “Tomorrow. Be ready at sun rise.” He bowed to Xun and left.




Later that night Jianyu watched Xun sleep for a bit before he slipped their marriage contract out from under her pillow. He took it to the desk, signed his true name, and sealed it with his magic. Anyone who looked at this document would know exactly who had married Xun. He slipped it back under her pillow and snuggled under the blanket with her, enjoying her warmth as she cuddled up next to him. No matter what happened to him tomorrow, at least Xun would have what protection his name could offer.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on July 9, 2023
Last Updated on July 9, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra