Part 3, Chapter 30

Part 3, Chapter 30

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Bringing the threat to an end

"

Ch 30


“How many soldiers were left after the army marched?” Jianyu asked.


“There are just over 500 guards in the city, 200 in the Palace. They are all my men and most of them want to go home. We aren’t meant for life on land, we can survive, but we don’t belong in fresh water. My brother left 100 men as well, stationed on the rooftops to keep the city hostage. I don’t know as much about them.”


“We will neutralize the men holding the city hostage and then you can take your men home.”


“That won’t work,” Xidi interrupted. “You need someone to keep the peace in the city and guard the Palace when you go out to fight my father.”


“The High Gods,” Jianyu started, but Xidi shook his head.


“The High Gods aren’t a good guard force, they don’t know how to work together. That’s part of why my father found it so easy to take over after your brother stripped the city of Heavenly soldiers. If you strip the city again you leave it vulnerable. I’ll watch over it for you. We don’t have enough men, but with the walls and the supplies we have we can hold out if we need to.”


Jianyu’s face barely moved, but the suspicion and the beginnings of anger were there for those who knew the signs. Xun left the bed and the slightly protesting figure of the Goddess of Mists on it and moved over to Jianyu’s side, she wasn’t sure what she could do. Maybe she could buy her uncle time if things started to go wrong.


“Why?” Jianyu asked, in a dark voice.


Xidi gestured to Xun, “I owe her father my life and more. Xun and her cousins have been a family to me.”


Xun smiled at him and looked to Jianyu, “It’s true, we all love uncle Xidi. He was there when I was born. My cousins too.”


Jianyu didn’t look convinced. Xidi continued, “There is a price. You must restrain your forces. Do what you need to drive my father out, but no more than necessary. I want my people to live as much as you want yours to live.”


Jianyu gave the slightest of nods. “But after, which ever of you brothers takes the throne must come to me to make a treaty and a personal binding oath with me.”


“Agreed,” Xidi held his arm out and Jianyu took it. Xun felt the power of the geas as the two men completed their bargain, “We need to move. You and the High Gods need to break my father’s army before they crush your brother and the troops you brought from the south.”


“What!?”


Xidi just stared at him, “I thought you knew. Your army is marching to intercept my father’s relief troops. That’s why he left the Palace. Your brother and his maid are pretending to be you and Xun…” he trailed off.


Jianyu’s face went flat and impassive. He moved his hands sharply and a wave of power surged out of him. Xun was protected by a bubble of his power, but Xidi and the Goddess of Mists were thrown flat against the floor. Suddenly the room was fillies with confused, milling High Gods. 


“Goddess of Lightning, attend,” he commanded. A striking woman in silver armor and a man in dark black silks struggled through the press of people to stand before him. Jianyu bowed his head very slightly, “Thunder God, Goddess of Lightning.” The two bowed formally. “Goddess, how many simultaneous strikes can you manage,” he asked.


She looked a little stunned. “Fifty or sixty or so, my Emperor, I think.”


“Not enough, this might hurt a bit,” he said. He turned her around and placed his hand against her back. Closing his eyes he focused, calling to mind his awareness of the city spread around him. *The King is the Land and the Land is the King,* he thought to himself, calling upon the deepest source of his magic. Suddenly every life force in the area lit up, from the smallest insect to the most nebulous spirit, he braced himself for the pain of the sensory overload, but it still hurt, draining him swiftly. Quickly he found the hidden Merfolk among the rooftops. With effort he pushed a bit of his power through the Goddess of Lightning, using her to shape it, and struck every hidden assassin in a single blow. The Goddess of Lightning cried out, and her partner, the Thunder God caught her as she fell. Jianyu let the sight fade and felt Xun slip under his arm to hold him up before he could stagger. 


“116,” he said to Xidi. “Have your men collect them and bring them to the Palace. Bring my family to me in the throne room.” He stood. “Everyone else follow me. I have some justice to meet out and then we ride to eliminate the threat from the sea.”


Jianyu strode from the room, his borrowed armor clanking. No one noticed the uncertainty and fear on his wife’s face as the High Gods streamed after them. 



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
Added on August 9, 2023
Last Updated on August 9, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra