Part 3, Chapter 17

Part 3, Chapter 17

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Cousins are useful

"

Ch 17


Leng Zai and Xun strolled easily through the streets arm in arm. 


“How long has your cousin been bribing that guard,” Jianyu whispered in Xun’s ear.


Xun giggled as if he had said something flirty, “Don’t ask, remember?”


Jianyu wrapped an arm around her shoulder, “I’m the Emperor, remember. I can ask anything I want.”


She wrapped her arm around his waist, “I’m your wife, you can ask anything you want, but you might not get answers. Oh look, we’re here. Be nice to my cousins,” she said slipping out of his hold and into the shade of the shop.


“Xun!” One of the twins said, smiling and hugging her. “Welcome home!”


Jianyu had to fight down a surge of annoyance as the man tussled his wife’s hair. 


“Yu’Luo!” she protested, “I’m not a little girl anymore,” but her happy smile betrayed her scolding words. “Do you remember Leng Zai?” 


The man looked up, and color drained from his face. “Your-“ Xun clapped a hand over his mouth.


“My husband, Leng Zai,” she repeated. 


Yu’Luo nodded and Xun moved her hand. “Sorry, you looked like someone else for a second. What did you need, Xun? You only come pester us when you need something.”


Xun crossed her arms and glared at him, “Not true! I also come when I’m hiding from Mother.”


He laughed, but it was a little forced and his eyes remained on Jianyu. Jianyu pulled Xun to him. “We are looking for information. What’s been happening in the Palace and the town.”


Yu’Luo pursed his lip in thought. “It’s been strange since the Emperor… you? Wait, the Emperor wasn’t you before was it?  But you’ve always been the Emperor, so it had to have been you.”


“Since Xun left,” Leng Zai said. He had had this conversation more than once with the generals and his other aides. The confusion left by the change spell had become more annoying than the change spell itself at the point. At least when the spell had been in effect he had been as oblivious as everyone else.


“The King of the Merfolk came,” Yu’Luo said quickly. “He and his sons have taken the Palace and the city. All of the guards are Merfolk now and there are archers hidden on the roof of almost every square. Most of the common people haven’t noticed since they are using cloaking spells, but some of our,” he visibly changed the word he was going to use, “agents are more familiar with the rooftop roads and have had to change their habits since the Merfolk came. As for the Palace, there isn’t much news. Xiaomin and Shun have stayed in touch with notes sent out in supply runs, but other than that not much information has made its way out. The high gods have mostly been imprisoned, although that isn’t common knowledge in the city.”


Jianyu considered this information. If he could get the high gods free he might be able to take the palace before the city was even alerted. Then he could stand down the hidden troops without a civilian casualty.


“Oh, and I forgot, the King said all of this was your idea. You wanted to gift the realms to your nephew after your brother died so bravely saving you in battle.”


“WHAT?”



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on July 27, 2023
Last Updated on July 27, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra