Part 3, Chapter 27

Part 3, Chapter 27

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Dissent in the Merfolk royalty.

"

Ch 27


The King of the Merfolk sat on the throne and watched his third son, his fingers tapping rhythmically on the white stone of the armrest. 


“The Emperor is leading the intercepting force, or I would not have worried you with this news, Father,” the lean man said stoically, his strange blended features making his expression hard to read.


The King of the Merfolk leaned forward, his elbows on his knees as he met his son’s gaze. “How exactly could the Emperor be leading them. I know for a fact he has been seen inside the city. Are you trying to tell me that he not only came into my city without being captured he also left?”


The man didn’t answer.


“Father, the Emperor was only seen that one time in the North Market. He may never have been here at all, it could have been a false report,” his second son said, in a conciliatory fashion.


“Speak when you are spoken to, Xidi,” the King snapped at him. “It’s your guards who let him enter in the first place. Feel lucky you haven’t been flogged.” The entire time he spoke he never took his eyes from his strange half breed son. As the king studied his son’s icy features he still couldn’t decide if letting him live had been the right decision. His mother had been beautiful. Almost as beautiful as the Sea Witch with the same delicately angled features. He forced his thoughts away. He had dealt with the Sea Witch, now he had to make a decision about his son. “What is your suggestion?”


“Take the Palace forces and crush him in a pincer movement. We out number his forces more than two to one, but the Emperor’s presence negates that advantage. With enough effort he could probably wipe out all 50,000 of our troops on his own. Bringing a second force in after he has engaged the main body of troops would give us the best chance of eliminating him once and for all,” the prince said, again allowing no inflection to tint his voice.


The king leaned back, finally deigning to look at his other two sons. “What do you think?”


His eldest stepped forward, “It could work. We’ve failed to kill him a number of times either through stealth or single combat. Throwing fodder at him to tire him and then taking him down with overwhelming force isn’t a bad strategy and this would be a prime opportunity.”


His second son broke in, “It would leave the city too vulnerable. We have the advantage here, why would we give that up. Even if he destroys our reinforcements as long as we hold the city residents hostage he can’t move against us and we can attack him at any time.”


The King of the Merfolk stayed silent, pondering his options. 


“It’s not like anyone would call you a coward for avoiding a head on attack with the Emperor,” his second son added, earning himself a glare from his father.


“Take half the men from the city. We will leave at dawn. Xidi, you remain here and hold the city. Find all of the vessels holding the High Gods and bury them if you can’t destroy them. I don’t care what happens as long as they can never be found. Your brothers will come with me, since they seem to have more of a spine for this assault,” the King of the Merfolk said abruptly. 


Xidi opened his mouth to object, but closed it before a sound could come out.


“Get out of my sight. All of you. Have the men ready to march at dawn.” The King of the Merfolk waved his sons away before turning his vision inward again, brooding. If he had been paying better attention he might have heard his youngest son murmur, “Laying it on a bit thick,” as he passed his brother to leave the hall and seen Xidi wink in reply.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on August 6, 2023
Last Updated on August 6, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra