Part 4, Chapter 23

Part 4, Chapter 23

A Chapter by Lyra
"

The Emperor is back and he is not pleased.

"

Ch 23


The Emperor strode into the Palace in his full glory. 


He wasn’t sure where his brother had managed to get the fully embroidered golden robes of the impressive amount of jade and gold jewelry, although he had a suspicion that Xun’s cousins had come into it somewhere. Either way, the effect was impressive. He let his magic roll off him in almost visible ripples of power, stirring the air around him and causing his robes to sway dramatically. Lesser gods and goddess fell back before him, unable to bear his overwhelming aura.


With the flair of his entrance it wasn’t long before his mother hurried out to greet him, surrounded by a bevy of brightly clad, fluttering young women. They looked like a flock of tropical birds clambering for attention. Jianyu felt nothing but slight pity for the young women. His mother clearly cared nothing for them and their families had still sold them to her in a bid for power. At least he would have felt pity for them if their presence hadn’t been made possible by the expulsion of Xun. The absence of his wife, which confirmed his brother’s summary of events, filled him with a fury he had never experienced before.


“Where. Is. Xun.” The words were hard, low, and resonated throughout the entire palace to be heard by everyone from the loftiest high god to the least kitchen servant.


His mother’s bright smile, which had been a bit brittle around the edges to start with went rigid at the challenge. The prospective brides she had brought clustered into a tight knot behind her.


“Xun? The daughter of your brother’s cook? Why should I keep track of a little maid like her?” his mother’s voice attempted to be light and offhand, but it cracked with tension at the edges.


“Prince Xidi’s adoptive niece? Holder of a life debt for every High God? Friend of the only daughter of the Hawk Clan and of the first daughter of the Ghost Clan? Savior of the Heavenly Realm? She’s much more than a little maid, even if she wasn’t my wife.”


“Your marriage was never registered with Nuwa.”


He pulled his marriage contract from the air. “I have the contract. Registering it is only a formality. I am married to Xun.”


His mother made a small moue of distaste. “This is not the place to have this discussion,” she said. “Let us adjourn to my suite. Ladies, it would be better if you joined me at another time.” She waved her hand a bit and the startled young women scattered, bright silks swirling and flapping as they darted off.


What a flock of useless creatures, Jianyu thought, and then scolded himself for being too harsh. Surely there were a few among them with redeeming features, although there wasn’t a single thing they could do or be that would make him prefer them over his wife.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on September 8, 2023
Last Updated on September 8, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure, light novel

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra