Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Part 3, Chapter 33

Part 3, Chapter 33

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Meeting the inlaws

"

Ch 33


Xun and Jianyu left the Emperor’s suite holding hands, each lost in their own thoughts. When Xun finally looked around her she saw they were nowhere near the Emperor’s courtyard.


“Jianyu, why are we in Nuwa’s palace?” She asked, already knowing the answer.


Jianyu held out their marriage certificate. “It’s time we make this official,” he said. The expression of happiness and contentment on his face erased all the worry that had been building in her for the past few weeks. Unable to help herself, Xun smiled back at him, not really registering his words.


“Stop,” said an imperious voice behind them. “I have not given my blessings to this union.”


The couple turned. Behind them, dressed in her most ostentatious robe, stood the Dowager Empress. Jianyu’s mother. Xun immediately fell to her knees, touching her forehead to the ground. She knew that they should have greeted her mother-in-law as soon as Jianyu had entered the Palace, but everything had been so hectic she hadn’t even thought to press the issue with her husband.


Jianyu urged her to her feet and she stood a little behind him, keeping her eyes on the ground.


“I greet you, Mother,” Jianyu said formally. Xun repeating his words, but so softly she wasn’t sure anyone actually heard her.


The Dowager Empress ignored her, focusing her rage on her son, “How dare you marry without my consent!”


The Emperor, to his credit, neither flinched nor backed down. “Xun is my wife, I will have no other. Things were… a bit complicated when we wed, but I don’t regret it,” he said in a calm, chilly voice.


The Dowager Empress narrowed her eyes and changed her focus to Xun, who was made of weaker stuff. She clutched at Jianyu’s hand and wished she was anywhere but here. 


“You aren’t fit to be the Empress,” Jianyu’s mother said with a sneer.


“I agree with you,” Xun retorted before she could think.


Jianyu let go of her hand and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. “You will be a fine Empress,” he said, his voice was soft and reassuring, but his cold stare was still on his mother. 


Xun had had enough of both of them. She stomped her foot onto Jianyu’s instep. He let her go and hopped back. “What was that for?” he asked, his tone all Leng Zai.


“We do not have time for this,” she said, snatching the marriage contract.  “You leave for war tomorrow. We only have a few hours left together and I am not going to spend them arguing with your mother,” she waved the contract at the Dowager Empress. “We are wed, my Lady, the God of War himself oversaw the ceremony and the signing. Any other details can be handled after the Emperor returns from battle.” She tucked the contact into her sleeve and took Jianyu’s hand again. Bowing once more to the Dowager Empress she dragged a slightly limping Jianyu back towards their courtyard



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on August 12, 2023
Last Updated on August 12, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra