Part 4, Chapter 10

Part 4, Chapter 10

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Birth and revelations

"

Ch 10 


Renping looked at the first crying, wiggling, very tiny, red person that was handed to her.


“Hand me the knife,” the midwife said, we need to cut the cord.


Renping reached for the small paring knife, but distracted by the new born in her arms nicked herself on the blade. 


“Ow,” she said softly, trying to juggle baby and knife. 


“As useful as a fish up a tree,” the midwife said, grabbing the knife and cutting the cord still attaching the child to its mother. As the midwife took her hand she rubbed some of Xun’s blood into Renping’s fresh cut.


It felt like lightning running through her blood. She clutched the baby to her chest, desperate not to drop her as flashing memories passed before her mind. Her mother playing with her in the kelp beds, teaching her water magic, lighting her room with night pearls when she was afraid of the dark. The first time her father took her onto the beach and they watched the stars. Visiting the Emperor’s palace and making friends with some of the other children. The King of the Merfolk taking her from her room and hurting her until another girl appeared and tried to stop him. 


A second cry jolted Renping awake. 


“This one is a boy,” the midwife said with satisfaction. She looked at Renping. “Alright, let me clean the babies up, you see to your friend.”


Renping moved to Xun’s side. Her friend’s face was creased with exhaustion and pain, but she was smiling. “Renping,” she said in a worn out voice, “how are my babies?”


Renping took her hand, “They’re fine, Xun. You can hold them in a moment.”


The midwife bustled over holding two wrapped bundles. “Here, Lady. A boy and a girl.”


Xun took the children and settled them against her with a contented sigh. Then she looked up. “Renping, you’re the daughter of the Sea Witch,” she said matter of factly.


“Yes…” Renping replied hesitantly.


Xun smiled at her, “We’ll have to talk about that when I wake up.” And with that she fell asleep.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on August 26, 2023
Last Updated on August 26, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, adventure, romance, light novel

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra