Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Part 3, Chapter 32

Part 3, Chapter 32

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Jiangou’s family

"

Ch 32


Jianyu returned to his throne, his heart heavy. The punishment had been light considering the crime, but it was still a hard sentence. He looked at the back of the room. Xun’s face was pale and tear stained, but she hadn’t left. He was glad. She was the reason for his leniency after all. 


“Bring me the family of the Lord of Storms,” Jianyu said to Xidi.


The two women were brought in, surrounded by guards. Marun spit at her captors, screaming that they were traitors and the King of the Merfolk would have them hung on stakes for their betrayal. Namu clung to her child, holding it slightly in front of her as if she could hide behind the tiny body. In turn the baby’s cries echoed around the hall, almost drowning Marun’s vile outpouring.


“Enough, sister,” Xidi said, his voice resigned and tired. “Father doesn’t have the strength to hold the land and you know it. We belong to the sea. You’ve been landbound too long.”


She opened her mouth to turn her haranguing on her brother, but the nearest guard stepped forward threateningly. 


Jianyu once more descended from his throne and held his arm out for the baby. Namu clutched the child for a moment before handing the tightly swaddled bundle over. Jianyu held the babe gently talking softly as he examined it. When he was done he handed the still whimpering baby back.


“My brother has a beautiful daughter,” he said, keeping his voice low. 


It wasn’t low enough because Marun whipped around from screaming at her brother to face her daughter-in-law. “A daughter,” she hissed. Before anyone could stop her she slapped Namu hard across the cheek, knocking the other woman off balance. “How dare you trick me!”


Namu turned away from her mother-in-law, putting herself between the older woman and the child. “You never had any real interest. What did it matter if the baby was a boy or a girl, it was never meant to live beyond your father securing his power anyway.”


Marun said nothing, but seethed quietly her thwarted rage clear on her face. Xidi stood close to his sister, ready to intercept any other attempt at violence. Jianyu once more climbed the dais and sat.


“Your crimes are much larger than Zao Shen’s. I cannot sentence you without the full council and I cannot condemn my niece to the dungeons. For now you are confined to the consort’s rooms. The Second Prince of the Merfolk will arrange for your needs. Take them away and keep them under guard.”


Xidi saluted. “Yes, my Emperor,” he said, herding the small group of prisoners away.


Jianyu turned his attention back to the High Gods. “We march tomorrow, two hours before dawn and we leave to drive the enemy back to their own territory. Be ready.”


The High Gods, expecting more of a speech from their newly returned leader watched him for a time before realizing that was all he was going to tell them. They knelt before him and he waved them away. In groups of ones and twos the High Gods left to prepare for war.


When the hall was empty Xun approached Jianyu. He sat, his head in his hands, as if he had become a run down toy after the last gods left the room. Xun placed a hesitant hand on his shoulder. Without looking up he grabbed her, pulled her into his lap, and buried his face against her. His arms wrapped almost painfully around her waist. Xun stroked his head gently.


“I’m going to have to kill my brother’s family. My sister-in-law,” he whispered. “My brother loves her so much. I might even have to kill his child, depending on the judgement of the council.”


Xun said nothing, just continued moving her hand rhythmically through his long hair. They sat for a long time in the empty room, trying to find comfort in each other’s presence. 



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on August 11, 2023
Last Updated on August 11, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra