Part 4, Chapter 30

Part 4, Chapter 30

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Husband and wife reunited

"

Ch 30


Xun.


Xun was here.


Jianyu stared at his wife. She stood, a little awkwardly, by the entrance to his tent. She was flanked by Xiaomin and a man he didn’t know, but who was dressed in the colorful robes of the desert tribes. His hair was done in elaborate braids that marked him as someone of high rank. He reached out to touch Xun’s elbow and Jianyu fell jealousy burn through him. The man caught his eye and stepped away from Xun. Xiaomin smirked.


The trio moved to stand before his throne and knelt.


“Emperor,” Xun said, her eyes respectfully on the floor.


Jianyu’s heart hurt. Knowing that she had run from the palace as soon as he had left caused a wound and every moment he hadn’t been able to ask her why had been salt ground into his raw emotions.


“Emperor,” Xun repeated, calling his attention back to the present. “We are here to speak to you on behalf of the Red Desert Tribes. The Master of the Red Desert, the Fire Lord, wishes to sue for peace.”


Is that the only reason you’re here? The thought was painful. He couldn’t bring himself to speak. He wasn’t sure what words would come out if he opened his mouth. 


“Leng Zai!” Xun hissed. “Pay attention!”


He started, looking down at her. She was making surreptitious eye motions to indicate he should clear the room.


“Everyone out,” he said loudly. “I would speak with the ambassadors in private.”


When everyone except Xun, Xiaomin, and the unknown man had filed out Xun leapt to her feet and rushed over to him. Her hands brushing lightly over his face, his hair, his chest, anywhere she could reach. “You weren’t hurt were you? Yu’Lou’s messages said you were fine, but I was still worried.”


He pushed her back a little and she looked at him, her eyes wide with realization of what she had been doing coloring her face, “I apologize,” she said, stepping back and bowing formally. “I forgot myself for a moment.”


“If you had wanted to be kept informed of my welfare you should have stayed somewhere you could be reached,” he said coldly.


She stiffened, “You are correct, as always, my Emperor,” she replied, her eyes properly lowered, her frame held rigidly in the appropriate form for a servant addressing the Emperor. 


Jianyu cursed himself.


Xiaomin stepped in, saving them both from taking the civil, silent argument further. “My Emperor, we have brought Young Lord Jingyi to request a secession of violence between the Heavenly Empire and the Red Desert Tribes.”


Jianyu looked the man over once more. Young, handsome, and still too close to his wife. Was he part of the reason Xun had left the Palace? Not likely, Xun had never mentioned anyone like him when they had been together. She must have met this Young Lord after she had left the Palace. After she had left him. His heart throbbed with pain. Staring at the young man to get his message across as clearly as possible he said, “I would be pleased to discuss peace with the Young Lord. After a few private words with my wife.”



“That was odd,” Jingyi said, as he and Xiaomin stood outside the tent, waiting for Xun to finish her discussion with the Emperor. “Do you think he misunderstood something?”


Xiaomin shrugged, “Leng Zai has always been a bit odd when it comes to Xun. It doesn’t surprise me that he’s the same way when he’s Jianyu.”


Jingyi stared at her, “What?”


Xiaomin laughed and sat on the ground in front of the tent, patting the space next to her. “We might be here a while, let me explain how Xun met her husband.”



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on September 15, 2023
Last Updated on September 15, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure, light novel

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra