Part 2, Chapter 34

Part 2, Chapter 34

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Memory

"

Ch 34


Jianyu woke up. His head felt like it was full of shattered glass. Fragments of memories surfaced randomly. 


He remembered being in battle and subduing the Shanglin Tribe rebellion on the southern boarder. He remembered bargaining with the Demon King and playing with the Demon King’s young son. He remembered his mother’s concerns over his lack of familial allies and her plans for his wedding. He remembered meeting Little Bird and her contradictory nature, bold in her letters and timid when she met him face to face. 


He remembered being Leng Zai. He remembered stumbling around, lost and confused. He remembered Renping, Xiaomin, Shun, Madam Lai, and the others scolding him, protecting him, caring for him. And he remembered Xun, always there watching over him and making him feel safe even when nothing in his life made sense. 


Jianyu clutched at his head, moaning.


“Leng Zai, are you alright?” Renping was at his side in a moment, her cool hand against his forehead. 


He turned away from her. “Where’s Xun?” With his eyes closed he didn’t see Renping’s hurt look. 


“She went to take care of the God of War,” Renping replied.


Jianyu tried to push himself up. His uncle wouldn’t hurt Xun, but he wanted her with him and he would go fetch her if he needed to. Renping pushed him back against the pillows.


“She’ll be back soon,” Renping reassured him. “She’s making sure that no one comes here and catches us.”


Jianyu stopped trying to get up. His head hurt. He closed his eyes


“Leng Zai!” Xun’s voice made his eyes fly open again. She stood close to the bed, her eyes roaming over his face. Leng Zai realized that Renping was still pressing on his shoulders and he rolled away from her, wincing as pain stabbed through his skull.


“Ingrate,” Renping muttered, moving away from the bed.


Xun took Renping’s place, gently helping him settle back on the bed. She looked at him and then Renping. “I came back as soon as I could. The guards held me until the God of War woke up and ordered them to free me. Are you alright?”


“What about the maids and guards, is anyone else coming?” Renping asked.


Xun shook her head. “I made it very clear that I was furious with all of them and wanted to be left alone. If they do come,” she stood up and moved a carved panel that had been leaning against the wall. A small panel in the outer wall had carefully been loosened so it came away easily when she pulled on it. “It’s not exactly subtle,” she said with a shrug. “Honestly I’m surprised none of the servants have said anything or asked me about it, but the hole opens up on the back courtyard and there are a few places to hide back there if someone comes.”


Renping just stared at her. “Why?”


Xun shrugged. “I never planned on staying here and I needed something to keep me busy until I came up with a good escape plan. If the guards know this is here when they charge in to capture me they will have to spend time checking the back yard, which could buy me some time.”


Jianyu sighed, “It won’t be necessary. I want to meet with the God of War.” He clamped his hand over his eyes.  “As soon as this headache subsides.”


Xun was back at his side in an instant. Renping was a bit more logical and brought a basin of cool water and a cloth. Xun smiled at the other girl, who just sighed. 


“I’ll go make tea and we can talk about this later,” Renping said.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on June 28, 2023
Last Updated on June 28, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra