Part 4, Chapter 21

Part 4, Chapter 21

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Breaking free

"

Ch 21


The world spun. 


Jianyu struggled to find his sense of balance, but every time he began gathering power to himself the King of the Merfolk would be flung at him, as if hurled like a spear. They fought fiercely, but as soon as a victor seemed inevitable they were ripped apart again. Over and over the cycle continued accompanied by the unending wailing of the Sea Witch looking for her lost daughter. 


Jianyu lost track of time while he formulated his plan. Instead of gathering his strength in a single great effort he began to construct a spell piece by piece which allowed him to keep progressing, even as he fought his running battles with the King of the Merfolk. 


Finishing his final preparations he struck. He lured the Sea Witch into bringing the King of the Merfolk into range with a small blast of power, as if her were trying to rip apart the cyclone of power they were trapped in. As the King came hurtling at him, hysterical laughter trailing behind the insane being like a string of bubbles, Jianyu released another band of power, slowing the King’s attack and allowing Jianyu to aim and swing his sword with almost leisurely contempt. The head of the King of the Merfolk was captured in the storm and sent flying. Jianyu used his last spell to summon his full strength to shatter the Sea Witch’s trap, leaving himself, the Sea Witch, and the body of the King of the Merfolk hovering just above the waves. 


The beach where the two armies had been stuck in their stalemate was within view and Jianyu wearily moved the entire party so they were positioned between the two armies. 


“It’s over,” he said, dropping the body of the King of the Merfolk on the sand before his few remaining men. “Go home. Enjoy the peace your second prince has bargained for you.”


The army of Merfolk roiled with disbelief and anger. They may have tried to attack the Emperor where he stood, but another man walked out of the sea. 


He was slight compared to the other Merfolk, with transparent, silvery scales covering his pale skin and making it shimmer. His gill flaps were small and pressed tightly against his head, looking almost like decorations rather than working organs. On his head he wore a wide gold band decorated with night pearls and rainbow colored shells. 


“Emperor,” he said, bowing deeply. “My brother, Prince Xidi has informed me of your request for a meeting and I have been waiting nearby for your return. Thank you for returning the body of our father. I have come to collect the remnants of my people and to ask to formally surrender to you so we can come to a peaceful accord between land and sea.”


Jianyu opened his mouth to answer, but was cut off by a scream from the Sea Witch. She flung herself at the Emperor screaming, “Give me my daughter!”


Jianyu caught her in his arms, her power drained from restraining two powerful forces like himself and the King of the Merfolk for an extended period of time. Once she had returned to the deep ocean recovering her power would be quick, but here on the shore she was still mostly helpless. 


“Lady,” he said soothingly. “I don’t know where your child is, but I will find her for you.”


“Liar,” she sobbed, beating at him with limp fists.


“He doesn’t lie,” the new King said. “My father took your daughter as revenge for your rejection all those centuries ago. He was never one to let go of a grudge.”


The Sea Witch staggered over to him, her eyes gleaming. “Where is my daughter?” She asked, hope in her voice.


“I don’t know,” he replied. “I know he took her and I know he kept her alive to use against you, but I don’t know where she is. I was just a child when I heard the story in the haram where I lived with my mother.”


The Sea Witch began to wail again. 


Jiangou, who had approached the group quietly, trying not to disturb anyone, came forward and put his arms around the Sea Witch. “My brother will find her, don’t fear,” he reassured the sobbing woman and with a nod to his brother he gently lead her away. 


The new King looked sadly after the pair. “I would help if I could,” he said before turning back to Jianyu. “As I said, my brother informed me of your requirements.” He knelt before the Emperor. “I Luhai ( Land/Sea) give my oath as the King of the Merfolk to Jianyu that the Merfolk shall not bring war to the Heavenly Realm or disrupt the peace between the Realms in anyway. Should this promise be breached the Tribes of the Merfolk will dwindle into nothing and be scattered like foam on the waves.”


The Merfolk army fell to their knees. This oath was sacred and binding. As long as Luhai reigned war instigated by the Merfolk would result not only in the death of the aggressor, but of his entire tribe as well. 


Jianyu placed his hand on Luhai’s head. “Accepted,” the answer was short, but power rippled out as the oath was acknowledged by the universe. 


Luhai stood. “And now we will return to our home.” He walked back into the waves with the same lack of pomp that he had emerged with and the Merfolk soldiers fell in behind him. Jianyu know that Luhai had just put himself and the Emperor in a precarious position, the oath that had been worn was between him and Jianyu personally. If either of them were killed the peace could be broken without consequence. Jianyu hoped they would both survive to enact more detailed and binding treaties in the near future, but for now this would have to do. 


Exhausted he returned to the camp where his brother had made ready his tent and cot. Unable to stay awake any longer Jianyu collapsed onto it gratefully and fell asleep. 



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on September 6, 2023
Last Updated on September 6, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, adventure, romance, light novel

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra





Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5