Part 2, Chapter 37

Part 2, Chapter 37

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Meanwhile, back at the palace

"

Ch 37


The occupation of the Imperial Palace happened so quietly that most of the realm didn’t notice. The King of the Merfolk of the Western Sea came for the birth of his grandchild with an entourage that was more like an army. There were no guards or soldiers to turn him away. The few that tried to resist were subdued and sent away from the Palace for punishment.


Merun and Namu stood in front of the throne in the Great Hall, waiting for him. In her arms Namu held a small, red faced baby with fluffy black hair and curious, liquid eyes. 


“Father,” Meran said, bowing.


“My daughter,” he said, accepting her bow. He turned to Namu. “Rise and let me hold my grandson.”


Namu rose, demurely keeping her eyes lowered. She handed the child to its great grandfather. The baby looked at him for only a moment before letting out a heart wrenching wail. The King of the Merfolk thrust the child back at its mother. Namu took the bundle, cooing softly, and within moments the hall was silent once more. 


Merun began to speak in the child’s defense, but the King waved her off. “He’s only a babe. He will learn better in time. Tell me instead of our ancient enemy, the Sea Witch.”


Merun gave a wicked smile, “She is all but dead, Father. As you surmised her power dried up after she was kept from the sea. She’s nothing but a broken hag skulking in the courtyard where she is imprisoned. Would you like to see her.”


“No,” the King’s voice was harsh and he fingered the jade pendant that hung at his throat. “I swore the day she rejected my proposal of marriage that I would never look upon her again. Let her rot.”


Merun bowed her head in acknowledge. 


“Where is her child?”


“She is no longer of use to us so I sent her into the palace as a servant. She still has no memory of who she was.”


Namu’s eyes sharpened with interest although she kept her head bent over her child. Merun had never shared the secret of how she controlled the Sea Witch until now. Namu determined that she would track the witch’s child down.


The King frowned, “You should have killed her.”


“Not here, Father. You know the spell on the palace. Violence done here will turn on the perpetrator. Better to make her into a nonentity and let her toil until she dies or leaves of her own accord.”


“So superstitious, my Daughter,” he sneered, 


She shrugged, “Better to be cautious when we are so close to our end game.”


The King of the Merfolk eyed the throne where it huddled on it dais. “Yes,” he agreed, “We are so close.”



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on July 1, 2023
Last Updated on July 1, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, adventure, romance

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra