Part 4, Chapter 13

Part 4, Chapter 13

A Chapter by Lyra
"

Shelter from the storm

"

Ch 13


Xun cuddled Chenhuan close to her chest, trying to protect the wailing infant from the worst of the rain. The periodic lightening flashes were just enough to make out the narrow, overgrown track in front of them. A flash, brighter than the others illuminated a small bamboo hut perched precariously on the side of the mountain.


“We’re almost there, Renping,” Xun called, but the sound of the thunder drowned out any response her friend might have given.


Xun struggled forward, every step feeling like a little victory. Step. Step. Step. Until finally she stumbled into a dry space. Renping was a few steps behind Xun, Chenhe clinging to her, already calming now that the rain was no longer pelting his tiny face. 


Xun looked around the space. The little kitchen they had entered was mostly dry, although the rain had found its way in through a broken shutter. A small pile of firewood had been stacked haphazardly next to the hearth and Renping quickly handed over her charge and began building a fire.


Xun continued her exploration. Just off of the kitchen was a bedroom, fully furnished but musty with disuse. The blankets were covered in dust and a bit moldy, but Xun judged them fit to use for the night since everything they had with them was soaked. Moving quickly she stripped herself and her babies. Using one of the blankets she tucked the babies tightly against herself and against each other before dropping a second blanket over them. She took the final blanket out to Renping, who had just gotten the fire going steadily. 


“Wrap up quickly,” she said to her friend. “We’ll get warm and then lay everything out to dry.”


Renping smiled tiredly at her and after she had warmed up the two women laid out their clothes and curled up on the thin mattress. Xun listened to the quiet snores of her infants and the now light tapping of the rain on the roof and drifted off into sleep.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on August 29, 2023
Last Updated on August 29, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, adventure, romance, light novel

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra