Part 4, Chapter 34

Part 4, Chapter 34

A Chapter by Lyra
"

A moment of peace

"

Ch 34


Jianyu stood on the porch of his family’s home, his arms wrapped around Xun as they watched the moon rise. Renping had gone to visit with friends at the tavern and the twins were curled up together on Chenhe’s bed.


“It was a busy day,” Jianyu said, kissing his wife’s hair.


She gave a contented sigh. “It always is. I’ve poured my whole heart into this place.” She turned so she could look up at him. “Did you know when we arrived there were only three families of refugees and Jingyi and Taiwu. They were barely surviving in this little valley. Renping and I found several rare herbs growing on the mountain, so I went to trade them with my cousins for money and necessities. When I came back they told me they had unanimously voted that I was in charge now.” She grinned. “It was Renping’s fault. She decided I needed something to keep me from brooding over you, like the twins weren’t enough trouble.”


Jianyu smiled and stroked her hair, “You brooded over me?” He asked.


“Of course that’s what you would pick up on,” she grumbled good naturedly.


He laughed and hugged her, “If it was only you and the refugees where did every one else come from?”


“We picked them up here and there,” she replied, “Taiwu rescued Baimao and her husband after her village found out her nature and tried to kill them both. Baimao was eight months pregnant too.” At his confused look she added, “Baimao’s husband was a mortal, he’s been gone a long time now, but she and the children manage well enough. Taiwu also brought in a few other strays. Humans find us too, very rarely. Mostly Taoist priests. Usually someone here trains them and then they move on. And every once in a while those who need for us is stronger than Jingyi’s magic find their way here. Like the wolves.”


Jianyu nodded, “I wanted to ask about them. Their tribe is quite powerful in the Demon Realm and they are known to be vicious to outsiders. How have you managed to keep the peace with them?”


“Red Eyes (红眼睛) offended the Demon King somehow and was on the run when he found us. We treated his wounds and asked if he wanted to stay for a time. The village was too much for him so he ended up in that cave at the far end of the valley. A few of his pack mates came to join him and, well, now they guard that end of the town from intruders. Except the children of course, they go to school with everyone else.”


“And everyone is fine with such savage killers living in the town? They fought my father to the brink in the last Demon War.”


Xun frowned at him, “We didn’t exactly go into that war giving out free hugs,” she said tartly. “Red Eyes fought in that war too and he’s told me a little about it. There were atrocities on both sides. War is never kind, which is why you need to work out a peace with the Red Desert Tribes.”


Jianyu was silent and Xun didn’t press him on the issue. Together they watched the moon float gently above the valley.



© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on September 19, 2023
Last Updated on September 19, 2023
Tags: Cdrama, fantasy, romance, adventure, light novel

The Shattered Emperor


Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra